Chapter 4

The smell of cologne woke me up. I went to sit up, but immediately realized I should not. I held my abdomen in pain, what happened again?

"Serves you right." I heard someone mutter from the chair to the right of the bed. I looked and saw Carter was sitting there with a pillow and blanket. He was looking at me with love though. "You scared all of us, you've been out for three days straight." My eyes almost bugged out of my head when he said that. "You had more injuries than we thought." He got quiet for a minute, then spoke calmly. "Do you keep it from everyone that you're injured during wrestling or playfighting?" I could tell he felt bad.

"I don't keep it from anyone, Cart." I sighed and groaned at the pain. "I'm an omega, I bruise easily. My personality and my body don't match on the level I wish it did." I looked at him and he was picking at the blanket like a child. "You don't hurt me, Carter. I spar a lot and that's where it comes from." He looked up at me with a half-smile.

"I forget we aren't children anymore, Charlie. I have to get married to someone soon and start a family. You have to be given to someone or bought so you can produce children. We're getting older and it hits me harder when I realize that I won't have you forever as my best fr-" He whined when a pillow hit his face from me. I giggled and gripped my side in pain.

"Will you shut up, Carter. No one is going to keep us two best friends from each other. You're the only person who has been there for me consistently without asking for me to reciprocate anything. Even if we have different paths, Carter, no one can replace my first and only best friend." He smiled gently at my words. "Now stop being so sentimental." I held my hand out for him to take. He took the invitation and made sure to carefully get into the bed with me. He and I often sleep in the same room- if not the same bed. Ever since Luca brought me 'home', Carter was infatuated for some reason. I laughed too hard, but it was worth it. "You won't break me." He laid on his side and looked at me from his pillow. 

"I don't want to hurt you in any way. I don't even want to bruise you, Charlie." I patted his face and tugged him closer. I put my head on his chest as we both laid on our backs. He played with my hair softly to the point where I was dozing in and out of sleep. He's the only one who is allowed to sleep in bed with me. He's truly my best friend who means no harm to me in any way.

Light shone down on my face, making me wake up again. When I did, Carter was gone and the sun was up. It was roughly noon and no one was in the room with me. Sighing, I struggled to get up, but I did it. It was slow going downstairs to the kitchen to get something to eat and drink, but I eventually made it through the labyrinth. I don't know where this place is, it doesn't look like the castle. I had to be in some safe house or family house. Most of these houses are built similarly so it's usually easier to find spaces you want. I made something easy- toast. I snacked on the toast as I wandered around this house. It has to be somewhere far from the castle. When I saw foliage from the window, I made my way somewhere close to it. There was a balcony looking over the garden here. The trees and flowers were so many different colors that I've never seen, but it smelled like peace to me and looked beautiful.

"Carter said you liked pretty things." A voice scared me, forcing me to jump. My eyes widened when I saw it was the twin with glasses. I could feel my cheeks getting red, I turned and looked at the garden again. He was leaning against the doorframe with his arms crossed, watching me calmly. It's like in those movies. "You shouldn't have gotten out of bed." His voice seemed more kind than his brothers' voice. "You'll open the stitches up, and it'll get infected." He didn't move from his position. I've never been alone with a male that I wasn't family with, this is weird for me.