f o u r

Sorens eyes scanned the cards spread out across the black coffee table. They were tarot cards, but all of them were the same card.

The Devil.

She had pulled each one from different sets and kept them to use as a signature for hits. She knew that by doing so she would only be putting herself more at risk of being caught, but it was Gotham. The GCPD seemingly had a difficult time catching criminals even if their DNA was all over the crime scene. She often wondered if they were even trying.

Soren leaned back on the couch, the room around her dark apart from the street lights outside shining in her window.

She closed her eyes, remembering the first time she had used her 'calling card'.

The 'ding' of a bell sounded as Soren opened the door to The Rose Readings Psychic Shop and stepped inside. The store was quaint and littered with different books and knick knacks. She maneuvered her way to the back of the store where the owner, Rose, had been sitting at a small table.

She sat down across from her and plastered on a fake smile. "Hi, I'm here to get a reading."

The woman nodded as she shuffled her cards. She spread them out across the table and had Soren choose four. Soren obliged and chose at random.

Rose placed the four chosen cards in a row and removed the rest. She flipped over the first card, the devil.

She ignored the bad omen and flipped over the next card, the devil again. After flipping the last two cards and seeing the same ones, she shifted uncomfortably.

When she looked up at the girl across from her, a smirk was plastered on Sorens lips. Rose stood and stumbled back, knocking over her chair.

Soren followed the woman, who raised her hands in défense. "Please, please don't hurt me." She begged.

She crouched down next her and smiled. "Don't worry, hell's not as bad as you think."

She pulled a knife from her boot and dragged it across her throat, leaving the woman to bleed out. She grabbed one of the four cards and a nearby pair of scissors, pinning the card to her chest with the sharp object.

Soren stood from the couch and walked into her room to change. She hated sitting around idly if she could be out doing something interesting. She slipped on a black, off the shoulder, long sleeve bodycon dress and some black heels. She added silver hoop earrings, a black moon choker, and a silver necklace with an inverted pentagram on it.

After taking the elastic out of her hair, the curls draped over her shoulders and down her back. She left her house and walked to the nightclub run by Fish Mooney.

When she arrived, the place was relatively full, like it was most nights. The lights were dim and everything seemed just a bit too classy to be in these parts of Gotham.

As she walked through the groups of people, she noticed Victor standing at the end of the rounded bar.

Soren approached him and noticed the look on his face. "You look like you wanna die."

Victor turned to look at the raven haired girl in front of him, leaning on the bar with one arm. She gestured for the bartender to get her a drink.

"I'm working." He nodded his head in the direction of Carmine Falcone, he was sitting at a table with Fish Mooney.

The bartender handed Soren her drink and she thanked him. She drank all the whiskey in her glass and set it down.

"So," she started, stepping closer to Victor. "I probably shouldn't try and distract you then?"

He raised his eyebrow at her. "You think you can distract me?"

Soren smirked and took another step forward, gently rubbing her leg against Victors inner thigh and leaning in. "I know I can," she whispered.

Soren stepped away from Victor as she noticed a man approach him. She realized it was a waiter. There goes my fun.

"Mr. Zsasz, Don Falcone said he's going to be a while longer. He said you can take a break and socialize until he's done."

Victor nodded in understanding and the waiter left. He turned back to look at Soren, who pulled a bar stool closer and sat down. She crossed her legs and leaned on the bar with her elbows.

"Can I ask you something?" Victor copied Soren and sat down, leaning his back against the bar and man spreading.

Soren would never admit it out loud but she thought it was attractive when he, or other guys, sat in that way; especially if they wore a suit, like the one he was wearing. Although, she instantly wanted to punch a man if he were to man spread at the expense of other peoples comfort.

Soren nodded and Victor continued.

"How long have you been in Gotham?" He asked over the sound of the live music and other people talking.

Soren looked up in contemplation before answering. "A few months, maybe a year."

"Where'd you live before?" He gestured to the bartender as he spoke to get them each another drink.

"I guess I didn't really live anywhere." She shrugged. "I was a hitman for high profile targets, it paid really well but I was constantly traveling."

"You quit that for Gotham?" Victor asked, a dumbfounded look on his face. "Why would you do that?"

Soren looked down at the glass in her hand, swirling the brown liquid in circles. "I don't know."

Victor raised his eyebrow at her and she sighed. She knew she was going to give him some sort of explanation, even if she didn't want to.

"I woke up in a random motel in Detroit one day with no memory of how I had gotten there." She fidgeted with her necklace and looked back up at Victor. "At the time I didn't realize it wasn't just the night before that I couldn't remember, I was missing years of memories and the only thing giving me some sort of direction was the notepad beside the bed with 'Gotham' written on it."

"Wow," he said, chugging the rest of his drink. "but at least, even with memory loss, you're the best at what you do."

"That's something I'd never be able to forget how to do." Soren chuckled. "It's engraved in my DNA."

Before Victor could say anything, Carmine appeared next to the pair.

"Victor." He said, placing a few bills on the bar counter. "Time to go."

"Nice to see you again, Mr. Falcone," Soren said.

"You as well Ms. Striker. I'm glad to see your wounds have healed." He said and gestured to the newly forming scar on her leg.

"Thanks," she smiled. "Looks like I'll be in even better shape to do that job."

"I think you would've done just fine either way, I trust you." He said and nodded, as if agreeing with himself.

Soren turned on her seat to better face Falcone. and shook her head. "A horrible decision, really."

Falcone raised his eyebrow at her. "Why's that?" He asked.

Her face went blank and her eyes held a cold, dead stare. "The cemeteries are full of people who trusted me."