Chapter 1

I woke up at about 4:40 this morning, the cries of my baby brother making me sprint to his room.

"Whats wrong baby?" I whispered.

He kept crying and I just continued to cradle his small toddler frame, letting him nod off to sleep in my arms.

I set him gently back in bed and walked into the kitchen, the smell of my coffee floating in the air. I poured some of the black liquid into a cup and mixed in some cream and sugar.

I looked in the pantry and we only had a few pieces of bread. I took one out and popped it in the toaster, and then I grabbed a plastic plate and put a few kid munchies and fruit.

I went to my brother room, gently lifted him out of the cradle.

"Play. Play." he squeaked and I laughed. He could only speak in short sentences of just one word at a time.

"We can play later, but first we have to fill your tummy!" I said and started tickling his stomach.

"Tummy. Tummy." he said and tapped his belly.

I gasped and them smiled. "Yes, very good."

I gave him a kiss and he giggled, his bubbly laughed filled the room, his laugh literally sounded like the Gerber baby, I kid you not.

I set him down in a booster seat, pushing the plate on the little tray and chuckling as he messily ate.

I scarfed down the toast and gingerly picked up Elliot and slung my backpack on my other shoulder.

I walked out of the house; locking the door behind me I carefully walked down the steps of my house.

I buckled in Elliot who squirmed and wouldn't stop giggling.

"Okay, let's get you to daycare." I whispered and kissed his forehead. I hopped out if the side door and slid into the drivers seat of my old pickup truck and drove to the daycare.

I followed my daily routine, dropping off Elliot, talking a little to the woman at the front counter and then left.

I was on my way back to my truck, the cold wind biting at my nose and white steam coming from my mouth.

I started the motor of my car, sitting there for a little while the car warmed up and started on my way to school.

It was a normal day at school, girls giggling and gossiping, boys messing around and throwing footballs while I just worked my way around them, keeping my head down and not attracting attention.

I was invisible.

I sometimes was bullied, pushed and shoved, but I didn't care.

As long as I passed my classes, worked at my job, earned enough money for Elliot and I, nothing else mattered.

The day went by slowly, the dull and basic materials they tried to teach I learned years ago, my only class in which I had to pay attention was my photography.

I always had my camera, in my bag or around my neck; it was protected by the case my mom gave me for my sixteenth birthday.

I relived the memory, of the freshly baked cake sitting on the counter, my closest friend surrounding my and my mom cradling Elliot in her arms, the moment captured by the camera I kept, never out of my mind.

My teacher began her lesson, the rain trickled down the windows behind her and I could see the trees moving quickly from side to side.

After that period my day at school was over, only a part of my day was done though.

I drove directly to the day care, picking up Elliot and tightly holding him in my arms. I quickly strapped him in then I hopped in front and drove to the cafe where I worked.

I walked into the building, Elliot riding on my back and I set him in the play area, close to the counter so I could keep an eye on him.

Business was slow, about 15 people ordering various pastries and beverages visited, not our usual steady flow because the rain was getting harder by the hour.

After the small shop had close I cleaned, washing the tabletops and wiping the counters, my paycheck was neatly place in my bag.

I grabbed the remaining pastries, something my boss allowed me to do and I only paid a nickel a pastry, since it was to be thrown out anyway.

Since business was slow, I took home many slices of bread and sandwiches.

I picked Elliot out of the play pin, putting him in the car and going home.

I made dinner; just some grilled sandwiches from the shop. I put the check in my room in my desk; I was going to deposit it later.

I fed some baby food and mashed potatoes to Elliot, his squeaky laugh dying down as he ate his food.

I washed up, cleaned his room, and mine tucking him in and switching off his light.

I did my homework, it was very simple so it took me only a few hours to do and I finally cuddled in my sheets and went to bed.

The cycle of my life that never seemed to end.