Chapter 1.5

Like every time Audrey had to take her ballet class right after school, and if he didn't have football practice, Jonathan was the one to walk Valerie home. This was one of those days. He stood taller than her even if he was shorter than Gabriel. He claimed he still was on his last growth spur, sharp jawline, he was lean, he also had bushy eyebrows, and a very easygoing smile. Unlike Gabriel whose smile was big and always clear, Jonathan's was more subtle and after years of knowing him Valerie knew when to pick it up.

"I'm going to miss walking you from school," Jonathan said looking at the street and giving her a side eye but the corners of his mouth slightly rising upwards. "When I leave for Harry Richard College, that is."

"It's not that far away," Valerie shrugged "I'll still see you I'm sure of it, if not I will go and sneak into your school until you see me. It's not that far from home, and worst-case scenario, you'll write, or I will" she assured. "Still want to get into Biology?"

"Yes," he stated adjusting his schoolbag. "It feels like the right call for me."

"You can always run away to London and begin a career in music if plants and bacteria don't work for you. I'll be your first fan" Valerie beamed with pride clashing her shoulder against his arm.

"If I make a career in music I want you on stage with me. We could be an amazing duet, going across the world" he moved the hand in front of both of them, grabbing her shoulder with one hand as he reached to her level, the view he was pointing at was a man in a bicycle going downhill with a dog following.

"But I don't sing" Valerie laughed.

"So? You'll play the tambourine. If I get to sail the world I want my best friend there with me. Otherwise, how will I annoy the scary fans away, you'll stay with a fencing sword in the doorway and slice the suspicious ones"

"You just want a bodyguard then." she said raising an eyebrow, the smile on her face remained unaltered.

"Yes," he said, "But a cool one, with a sword, who is my best friend." They stopped in front of Valerie's house, a plaque with the number 11322 was on the right side of the door. Valerie laughed putting her keys into the door's lock, waiting until she heard it unlocking.

"See you later Jon," she waved her hand.

"Until later, Ree," he waved as he crossed the street to his house.

Valerie waited for a few seconds before walking inside, opening the door slowly and looking around. She dropped the schoolbag on the floor near the door before closing it behind herself making sure to lock it. Taking careful steps, she walked towards the kitchen, where her aunt was talking on the phone.

"Yes, that would be, great. Thank you, have a lovely day" The woman turned to Valerie as she hung the phone and a smile graced her features, she was wearing a dark blue buttoned shirt and dark jeans combined with silver high heels, her hair was braided and parted in the middle instead of the free curls her aunt tended to proudly flaunt, her dark skin as flawless as always, her blue eyes lit up the moment she saw Valerie rushing towards her niece.

"My dear lohikonnie" Aunt Moira said wrapping her arms around the teenager who hugged her back tightly. "I ordered food for us. I'm pretty tired from the flight and I'm sure you must already be tired of having to re-heat your meals" The woman took steps towards the living room.

The room still maintained most of the furniture Valerie's parents have bought alongside some furniture the previous owners decided they wanted to leave behind. The sofa in a dark red tone rested above the wooden floor, there was an old coffee table in the middle that her aunt had confessed once it had been a wedding present, there was a TV in front of them that was hardly ever turned on, next to the couch were two chairs; an olive chair with dark red cushions and a rocking chair that rested opposite from the chimney with pictures above it, one of Valerie's parents' wedding day, one with her grandparents and family from Mexico and one of her and her aunt. The cabinet behind them held more pictures and other things they deemed precious; in a corner, next to the window with green curtains was a vase with flowers that never seemed to grow old and there usually was a footstool that always seemed to change places. That day, it also had Moira's luggage and suitcases resting around.