Chapter 12

The heat of the sun hit her in the back, as she stood with everyone in line backs straight trying to show the best of themselves to the new visitors. Morgana and Emrys right behind Arthur, making hard to believe the previous hustle that had surrounded the castle that kept everyone in an anxious hurry, even Adelina had yelled a bunch of profanities at Arthur when he dared to walk into the kitchen to check how everything was going.

Morgana had a dress made especially for the occasion and the party that would follow, sending encouraging glances at Arthur every time he looked behind himself, as he played with the hold of his sword, doing his best to appease his nerves. She mumbled a few words, her eyes shining blue before his grip on the sword softened, and he stood as regal and proud as he did in front of his knights, she only turned to see Emrys shaking his head at her.

Slowly, the sounds of horses became louder. As they approached, she could see the golden details of the carefully crafted saddles shining under the sunlight, bringing all attention to them as if it wasn't already, leading the group was Lancelot, Arthur's best friend and most trusted knight. A glint of red in the middle of the group caught Morgana's eye.

"They are not a particularly rich kingdom" Emrys commented leaning to her side. All signs of the previous blunder suddenly vanished "But whenever they visit other kingdoms, they like to keep the appearances that they are"

"Even when a marriage alliance is secured?" Morgana questioned, her head tilted, looking at the approaching group.

"Especially then" Emrys furrowed his eyes "Arthur is still on time to forfeit the union, and at the end, he is already a king, he has the final word in this"

When the horses stopped in front of them, the group that seemed to go surrounding something split in two, riding the horse in between the knights safely kept as if she was the most valuable treasure was a girl. She was around Arthur's age, red hair that moved with the wind in waves, eyes green, a golden diadem in her hair and golden decorations on her soft pink dress. Arthur stared in awe as she took the hand Lancelot offered to help her get down from the horse.

"She is very beautiful" Morgana acknowledged, noticing the way Lancelot's eyes did not leave her as she walked towards Arthur giving a courteous bow. "Now there is no way Arthur will say no to the union"

She basked on the idea that she was right, noticing how Arthur blushed when talking to her, his hand returning to the sword's grip, and how his mouth didn't stop moving, going beyond the accustomed pleasantries Emrys had taught him.

"There are many more beautiful" Emrys shrugged. Morgana turned to him, taking advantage of the fact that every bit of attention was focused on Arthur and his knights, she smiled.

"Oh, is that so? Like, who, for example?" Her heart skipped a beat when his green eyes avoided hers and instead focused on the sleeves of the formal shirt he was forced to wear, all the while his cheeks turned pink.

"That's not important" He tried to dismiss, clearing his throat mid-sentence, but it was, it was very important. "I'm afraid of what this union might bring"

"I'll admit, I'm getting a weird feeling from her" She noted acknowledging one of the men who made part of Guinevere's escort who leaned and bowed to her taking her hand carefully before moving on, going completely past Emrys "But they look so in love, and happy about the union"

"And this is my sister Morgana, and the Merlin, Emrys" Arthur turned stopping any further attempt of conversation from Emrys. Morgana plastered a smile on her face looking at Guinevere with more detail, noticing how tense her shoulders were "This is her royal highness, Guinevere Greidawl" Both Emrys and Morgana bowed to her, and she imitated their action her pose filled with grace, the tension in her shoulders suddenly gone.