Chapter One [Edited]

“Anaya Beth Parker! Come on, it’s time to party!”  Margaret popped her head over the cubicle wall and glared at me. “Get your Latina butt off that computer. I will NOT allow you to stay in another night!”

“Margaret, I have so much work to do,” I sighed, staring at the reports in front of me. Our team had just finished some testing, and I was the unlucky one who had to work on a summary for our boss.

“Yeah, and half of it is due in a month from now! Take a break for once! Let’s go stare at some guys!”

I rolled my eyes. “Not everything great is about sex.”

“No, but sex is great,” Margaret grinned and winked at me. Her brown eyes twinkled mischievously. I couldn’t keep a small chuckle from escaping.

“Alright, just let me finish up this section on the report for that shampoo mishap. You know, the one that had the issue in testing? Management is pissed that their product isn’t working properly,” I responded as I stacked some papers in front of me and opened a drawer. Putting the file folder in, I closed and locked it.

“Isn’t that the project that they decided to skimp on funding, so the MatSci people skimped on their work?” Margaret moved around the wall and through the entranceway. She stood leaning against the wall, picking at her nails but giving me a smile of genuine interest.

“Materials Scientists, yeah. So now everything is a bit of a mess,” I sighed. “Why did I decide to take this position again?”

“Because you like the money?” Margaret winked at me. “You love your job, though. And you’re such a better boss than that other guy. What was his name again?”

“Flannigan.”

“Man, I hated that guy. I just knew he was creepy!” Margaret threw her hands up expressively. Her purse on her right arm almost went flying, and she quickly turned, catching it. I just laughed at her.

“You’re telling me! I’m the one he hit on,” I complained. “Let’s just get out of here; I’m never going to get work done with you talking to me.”

“YES! She is converted!” Margaret cheered. She pumped a fist in the air, her blonde hair bouncing with the movement. “Whoo!”

Saving and closing the document on my computer, I stood up to leave. I sighed, running my fingers through my dark brown hair.

“No more sighing for you, missy! Let’s go to the pub. We’re going to get you a boy toy! I think the others are already there,” Margaret informed me.

I grabbed my coat and turned off the desk light.

“I don’t need a boy toy,” I told her as we stepped into the elevator, but it fell to deaf ears.

“Have a good evening, ladies,” the security guard nodded at us as Margaret and I walked out of the building.

“Evening,” we smiled.

“You say you don’t need a boy toy now, but just try it. Maybe even little asexual you will enjoy it,” Margaret grinned. I buried my face in my hands.

“Sure. Whatever you say,” I groaned at her antics, running my hand through my black hair.

Margaret and I walked down the block to our cars. As we went to get in our respective cars, I stopped Margaret.

“Which bar is it again?”

“The usual – Crazy Chris’s,” she responded.

“Not that other lame one we tried a few months ago?”