Chapter Fourteen [Edited]

The weeks flew by, and before I knew it, Margaret was texting me asking me about my Christmas plans.

“A lot of the coworker gang is in town! We should hang out!” She offered by way of explanation. “Besides, Velisa is in town, and I want to set her up with Dave.”

“Always the meddling match maker,” I responded, rolling my eyes at her.

She didn’t seem the least bit offended, replying, “You know it!”

“To be honest, I’d rather stay in this Christmas,” was my response.

“Oh, boo! You always stay in!”

“I went out for Thanksgiving,” I argued back.

“To your mom’s!” I could practically feel her attitude radiating from the phone. Sometimes, Margaret was a bit overbearing, but I knew she meant well.

“Fair enough. So where are we going? No parties, please.”

“Oh, you’re no fun. Parties for Christmas and New Year’s are the best! Fine! I’ll take a look.”

Thankfully, a few days before Christmas, Margaret came up with a plan.

“Okay, so we will be going out to the festival of lights next week! It is at the zoo/gardens! Feel free to invite some friends,” Margaret blast texted me, Dave, Lily, and Shelbie.

“Who all is going?” Shelbie asked.

“Velisa is coming down!” Margaret texted excitedly.

“Oh, is Kaleb coming, too?” Dave asked.

“No, he’s staying with Will. Anaya, you should see if Sheila and Daniel can join us.”

“Shelly is out of town,” I responded. She sometimes frequented our outings, but this time was home in Tennessee for Christmas. “I will ask Daniel.”

I sent Daniel a quick text – “Hey, are you free next week? We’re going out to the festival of lights. Want to join?”

‘You really want him to join, don’t you?’ My mind brought up.

He’s just a friend,’ I argued with myself.

Or are you just in denial?’

No, we’re not dating. I’m not ready to date. I can’t date.’

‘Can’t? Or won’t?’

Shaking my head, I returned to my work, though my phone kept vibrating throughout the day as my coworkers and I discussed plans for carpooling, times, and dinner.

One person never texted me back, though: Daniel. I didn’t want to be that obsessive girl who checks her phone every minute, but I have to admit that I was a bit on edge. Was I nervous about having Daniel join us? Yes. Did I have a reason to be? No.

Stop it, Anaya. You need to focus on work.

I sighed, grabbing another memo on my desk and skimming it.

“Hey boss!

Came by when you were out for lunch. Come down to the chem lab when you have a chance. We think we found something.

–Charles”

‘They found something? Was this the mystery chemical in the substance?’ I thought, nearly leaping out of my chair in my hurry to get downstairs. I flew down the two flights of stairs, too impatient to wait for the elevator, and I burst into the lab like the hounds of hell were at my feet.