Chapter Sixteen [Edited]

However, as I found out in the later month, that simple answer of “Yes” wasn’t quite so simple.

Daniel and I continued to see each other at the gym and we occasionally got coffee afterwards. I found myself swamped with work in January, so we didn’t see that much of each other.

I sighed. It was January 9th, a Friday evening, and I was just sick of work. Even though it was only 4 in the afternoon, I signed out and left work. Driving the few miles down the road, I entered the diner, smiling at the small warmth from the breath of air that circled and enveloped me as I stepped in. the diner wasn’t too busy as it was too late for the lunch rush but too early for the dinner rush.

“Anaya,” Shelly greeted me as I came in. “How are you? How was your Christmas?”

“Hey Shelly! It was the same old, same old. I spent Christmas with my mom and had some work so I didn’t really have that much time off. On the 30th we went out to see the festival of lights.”

“Oh, I heard about that! How was it?”

“It was beautiful, as it always is. How was your time with your family?”

“Oh, just absolutely amazing,” Shelly gushed. “You don’t quite know how much you miss them until you see them again. Even the little things, like Mama always pouring too much sugar in the coffee or Papa reading the Sunday News make a huge difference on your morning.”

“Yeah, I know,” I sighed.

Shelly laughed. “Oh, you don’t know at all! You live right next to your folks!”

“Doesn’t mean I don’t miss them,” I argued.

“Oh, bless your heart,” Sheila shook her head at me. “So what did you come in here for today?”

“What do you mean?” I questioned.

“Well, you’re way too dedicated to your work. You never leave before five, and now you’re here and it’s hardly past four? Something’s up.”

I sighed. Even though I didn’t say anything, Shelly gave me a small, knowing smile.

“Whatever it is, it will be alright. Listen, I’m getting off work in half an hour. Let me grab you some coffee or something, and we can go back to your place.”

I gave her a grateful smile. “Thank you so much.”

“Always my pleasure, honey.”

An hour later we found ourselves sitting on my sofa, nursing our coffee while we watched the snow out the window.

“So,” Shelly broke the silence. “What’s wrong?”

I sighed and put my coffee down on the table, turning to face her.

“Honestly? I guess I’m having second thoughts about Daniel.”

“What? Why? You guys seem to get along so well. You’ve been hanging out with him a lot lately, haven’t you?”

“Yes.”

“What do you think of him?”

“He’s really nice and funny. I love the way his eyes twinkle and his smile creates dimples. Talking with him is fun. It’s light and easy, and we just get along so well.”

“So what’s the problem?”

“I just, well, I feel like we’re compatible.”

“And what’s the problem with that?”