Chapter Eighteen [Edited]

Our date finished successfully, much to my relief. Daniel upgraded our kisses to a small kiss on the mouth, and it was perfect. Shelly claimed it was “so cute I could die!”

I pulled up to the bowling alley, turning off the engine to my car. I glanced at the clock, sighing when I was ten minutes early as usual. I was always ridiculously early to places, though thankfully Daniel was never late, so I wasn’t left waiting for very long.

Just as I predicted, Daniel came by three minutes later, gently tapping on my car window as I glanced at something on my phone.

“Oh! Hey!” I greeted him, hastily opening my door and nearly hitting him in the process.

“Careful! You’ll get another dent on your car,” he joked, making me glare at him.

“My car is perfectly fine,” I huffed jokingly and stepped out, slamming it behind me.

“Except for a possibly broken door?”

I chose to ignore that remark, grabbing his hand and pulling him towards the door.

“Let’s go bowling!” I remarked, just ready to get away from that situation with Daniel teasing me. He laughed amusedly at me, but complied with my requests.

We entered the bowling alley and were immediately thrown back a few decades. 80’s music played and disco lights flashed all over the place. It wasn’t very crowded, seeing as it was a Friday night and most people were out drinking. This alley had snacks and a small bar area, but it wasn’t very big, and the crowd was more of a family-friendly scene. There was what looked like a birthday party for a ten year old in one corner and some young couples and families played at the other bowling lanes.

Daniel tried to pay, but I didn’t let him, stealing his card and handing mine over instead. The man behind the desk laughed at us. Daniel just shook his head at me but accepted his fate.

“Here y’all go,” the man said gruffly, handing over some bowling shoes.

“After you, ma’am,” Daniel said in a mock accent, which one I couldn’t quite place, but it was pretty entertaining.

“Why thank you, Mr. Posh,” I imitated back.

Daniel burst out laughing. “T-that was horrible!” He exclaimed, pretending to wipe a tear from his eye.

“Goodness, I have no idea whatever you mean. My accent is amazing!” I exclaimed in the fake accent.

“No, what’s amazing are these bowling shoes,” Daniel said, picking up his and wiggling them in front of my face.

“Ugh,” I groaned, looking at the bright pink and green shoes. Mine weren’t much better with their vivid purple, orange, and red colors. It was bad enough that I was about to fail at bowling!

“Ready to go?” Daniel asked before tugging us over to a bowling lane.

“Excited much?”

“I haven’t been bowling in forever!” He grinned enthusiastically, looking like a little kid who just found the golden ticket to Wonka’s factory.

“I take it you’re a big bowling fan?”

“I used to go all the time when I was little!”

“Did you and your friends hang out at a bowling alley back in Maryland or something?” I asked as I sat down to tie my shoes.

“Actually, I went with my family a lot.”

“Oh,” I said nervously, not sure what to say. The last time his family was brought up, Daniel clammed up on Shelly and I, and I didn’t want this night to go badly.