Chapter Two [Edited]

“Ping!” My email inbox dinged as I received a new message from my boss.

“Dear Anaya Parker,

We will be meeting at 2 PM today to discuss updates to the department. Please come to the conference room at this time. This meeting is mandatory.

Thank you,

Billy Xane

Head of Research and Development

Better Bathroom Business”

An update to the department? What on Earth were they changing this time?

Promptly at 2 PM, we all headed down to the conference room. Billy Xane, my boss, attended as well as many of the other bosses from promotions, advertising, and sales. I also noticed my supervisor, Antony Barnes, and other members from our department. I was overseeing one line of all-natural oil shampoos while my coworkers under Antony were working on various other shampoo variations.

“I am sure you are wondering why I have called you here today,” Billy Xane called to our attention. “Due to the past allegations of Mr. Joseph Flannigan, we are implementing new policies regarding coworker communication. All communications must be kept strictly work-related. Our Human Resources team will be monitoring all email communications. Anyone with allegations against Mr. Flannigan or any other person should talk to the Human Resources team. Here at Better Bathroom Business, we strive to provide a safe environment for all employees…”

At about this point, most of everyone started zoning out and not paying much attention. It was all the same as before. Corporate came up with a policy at the slightest infraction, we implemented it for a few weeks, and eventually it was revoked or replaced with some other “newer and better” policy.

“… We will be forming a new contract for all managers to sign. This contract is separate from the normal work documentation. It contains information about sexual harassment and other policies that are necessary should something like this arise again. We do not want the same mistakes to be made.”

Mr. Xane started passing some papers down the table. All the managers took one.

“In addition to these policies, we will also require all managers to have a talk with their team members about the policies and procedures in place. All resources inside the company should be covered, and a list of outside resources will be provided. In the unlikely event that someone should come to you to bring light to a situation, please direct them to our Human Resources team.”

“At this time, does anyone have any questions?”

The room was silent as we all scanned the papers he passed around. Xane glanced around the audience. It wasn’t really anything new, but I’m sure they had some requirement to review the policies.

“Very good. Meeting dismissed.”

All the managers hopped up from their seats like rabbits and scurried back to their desks. I flipped through the papers as I walked back. There were a lot of new policies, though the policies were just re-stated as were in the employee contract. I sighed and took a look at my schedule. Maybe sometime next week I can schedule a team meeting about this…

Resuming my work, I reviewed more reports, including testing data.

“Bzzz!” My phone alarm vibrated, reminding me of my meeting with the researchers of one of our newest oil shampoos in development. Right on time, a couple of the team members started to enter my office. The five of us sat around my small conference table and discussed the data.