Chapter Fifteen [Edited]

“This club is crazy!” Shelly shouted at me above the music.

“Yeah!” I shouted back, dancing with everyone. Margaret had dragged us onto the dance floor, though I think Lily and Charles had left early.

Jack snuck up on Shelly and poked her sides, making her yelp and smack him.

“Don’t do that, Jack!” She scolded him, making him laugh.

“I can’t help it Lia; you look so cute,” was his reply.

“Aww,” Shelly melted, smiling at him.

“Get a room!” Margaret yelled at the couple, making both of them glare at her. Margaret grinned and danced away to where Velisa and Shelbie were dancing. While they were distracted, I took the opportunity to escape to the bar and get a drink.

“One Cosmo, please,” I ordered, collapsing into a seat.

“Enjoying the dancing?” Daniel asked from beside me.

“It’s not really my thing, but once and a while it’s nice to let loose,” I responded, tying up my hair in a ponytail while trying to catch my breath.

Daniel nodded.

“What about you, Danny boy? Why aren’t you dancing?” I questioned him.

“Nicknames now? I have to admit, I’m not too keen on that one,” Daniel winked.

“Fair enough,” I laughed. “Dancing?”

“I’m not a big dancer.”

“It’s not that hard,” I protested. “If I can do it, anyone can.”

Daniel hesitated. “Well, all right, I guess I can dance for one song.”

“Okay!” I cheered, sounding like Margaret for a minute. “Let me just finish my drink.”

We sat for a few minutes before I finished my Cosmo and pulled Daniel out onto the floor, much to his dismay. However, after a few songs, Daniel seemed to be getting the hang of it.

“This isn’t actually too bad,” he confessed.

Margaret made her way over to us. “You’re still dancing, Anaya? I’m surprised!”

“What, I can’t dance?” I said, pretending to be offended.

“Usually you’ve stopped dancing by now!”

“I figured I’d let loose for one night.”

“Yeah! Starting off the new year right!” Margaret cheered before dancing over to some random guy and grinding up against him.

“Does she know him?” Daniel questioned.

“No, she’s just having fun. I’ll keep an eye out for her, though,” I replied. Daniel shook his head in amusement.

“You guys are insane.”

Before I knew it, it was 11:55 pm, and the clock was starting to count down. Our friend group had migrated back together. Shelbie and Margaret were laughing and talking with Lily and Charles, who apparently hadn’t left like I thought previously. Maybe they snuck into a bathroom for a quicky or something. Knowing Lily… Anyways, Velisa and Dave were in their own world of just the two of them. Daniel and I were smiling and soaking it all in. Jack and Shelly stood near us, Jack nursing a beer.

“One minute!” The announcer shouted out, making the club cheer. I winced a bit at the noise.

“Happy New Year!” Shelly cheered.