chapter ninteen

NINE DAYS LATER
Alice
Jonathan isn't at school today.

He said he was sick, but I think he's just doing it avoid me.

You know he's just doing it to avoid you, Alice.'

Mr.Holland says we have another partner project, but this one isn't as long and you don't have to do it outside of school.

I got Pillie, so it's not so bad.

He's funny, I guess.

Half way into the class period he asks, "So, uh, you and Johnny, huh?"

He plays with his pencil not making eye contact.

"Yup."

"You two... like each other?" No, we are just dating because we can.

"Yes."

"And he, likes you?"

Well now I'm offended.

"Is that so hard to believe?" I say with attitude.

"Wha- no. It-it's not." He looks down at his worksheet and we don't talk for the rest of class.
———
I'm walking to the bus line when I hear someone calling my name.

I look over and down the street and see Jonathan leaning against his car.

I legit fly the whole entire block and run into him.

"Where have you been!?" I squeeze his waist and lay my head on his chest.

He coughs softly and says, "I've been sick. But I had to see you." His voice is raspier than ever.

I step back and put my hand on his forehead. "Oh god, Johnny, you're burning up."

He smiles, making his nose scrunch up a little bit, and I swear I died of cuteness.

"You're adorable." I boop his nose and he takes my hand and holds the car open for me.

Again, I'm dying of cuteness.
~~~
I get home around 6, and to my very unfortunate surprise, Aunt Linda is fuming.

"Where the hell have you been?!" She comes running towards me and slaps me across the face.

"At a friends house! Jeez!" She then pushes me against the wall beside the front door.

"Don't you dare lie to me!!!" She screams.

"WHERE WERE YOU?!" She spits in my face.

"At-at Jonathan's house!"

Her eyes widen. "Who's Jonathan?!"

I can see the wooden spoon sticking out of her back jean pocket.

"M-my... boyfriend." I whisper.

Aunt Linda slapped me again. "You WHORE! HOW DARE YOU DISRESPECT ME UNDER MY OWN GOD DAMNED ROOF?!"

She gets out the wooden spoon.

"Turn around."

"No! Please, n-not the spoon!"

She grips my shoulder and turns me so I'm facing the wall.

"This is what you get for being a little slut and whoring around. I hope you've learned your damn lesson."

Slap.

Slap.

Slap.

Slap.

I try to muffle my screams by covering my mouth, but I doesn't work.

They're too loud.

"YOU HAD ENOUGH YET, BITCH?!"

"Yes." I whimper/scream.

She forcefully turns me around again and grips my jaw.

"I don't want you going anywhere near... god, what is his name?"

"Jonathan... Jonathan Banks." I say quietly trying not to meet her eyes.

Her grip on my jaw tightens. "Jonathan Banks?"

"Yes."

She gives me the coldest, most deadly glare that I've ever seen. "Don't you ever, EVER, go near him or his fucking family. You're to go to school and go straight home. That's it. Do you understand me, Alice? Don't go near the Banks, ever."

She drops her hand from my jaw and slams the front door, leaving me in my quiet house all alone.

The wooden spoon lays on the ground, even more scratches and blood spots on it.

Now I have to go disinfect my back.

———
uh oh.

Aunt Linda has some secrets....

End of chapter nineteen.