Chapter 5

The slaves screamed as the flaming pillar descended on them, but one kept her cool, pushing the other two into the hole. Those two stopped screaming, but gasped in horror, as the pillar finished the last few inches, hitting something with a BANG!

Suddenly, there was silence. Someone had died. Then, there was the roar of a Night Fury, and Shadow emerged from the flames, with Hiccup on his back, and clutching the little slave in his talons. The Night Fury landed, and dropped the slave, to the cheers of the others.

The two slaves the girl had saved rushed up to her, checking her pulse and her head. She had a tiny bump from where the beam had struck her briefly before Shadow got her out, but she was alive, just unconscious.

The slaves gasped with relief, and set her down, carefully fussing over her. One of the slaves got up, and went to Hiccup and Shadow "Thank you." She said, "Thank you for saving my friend." Hiccup just smiled and said, "It's our job!"

Suddenly, slaves were milling around, finding family and friends, and greeting people after what seemed like an eternity of servitude. The Dragon Riders watched with satisfaction, seeing the fear the slavers had imposed finally begin to heal. Eventually, Sarah grew impatient, and, with approval from Christopher and Tyler, rose.

"Listen up everyone!" Sarah yelled, quieting the crowds. The slaves turned, and looked expectantly at Sarah. She gestured behind her, and Hiccup and Annie stepped forward a bit. "You do it." Annie said, nudging Hiccup forward more, "My job is axing people to pieces, not convincing crowds of frightened slaves!" Hiccup smiled, and stepped forward onto a jutting rock, holding the Inferno Zero in one hand.

"Hello," Hiccup started informally, shooting everyone an encouraging smile. "I know today was probably a long day for everyone, what with the giant battle, near death experience and escape." The slaves laughed, despite themselves. "But I can assure you, we are not here to hurt you. In fact, we have come to set you free!" There was a shocked silence at this revelation, then someone cheered. Then another, and another, then all the slaves were cheering.

When they finally silenced, Hiccup continued. "Now, you may be curious just how we managed to beat the slavers. And I can tell you: Dragons." 

There was a burst of flame, and the dragons stepped forward. The slaves jaws dropped, and they gasped as they saw the winged reptiles that had saved them. It was quite a lot to digest. Hiccup waited patiently as the slaves gawked, then finally, they turned back to Hiccup.

"As of now, you are free to go! However, we would ask that you consider a proposal we have here." There was a murmur of "Okay." In the crowd, and Hiccup smiled again. "Since the fleet of planes used to take you here was destroyed in the battle, there is no means of getting back to your homes. We can't even use the dragons, because the rest of the world is unaware of their existence, and would kill the dragons before they had landed. So, we offer that you stay in our village. It has been empty for 8,000 years, and could use a good cleaning up. Still, it would provide support and a home until you can return. Besides, you would be living alongside dragons!"

There was another shocked murmuring among the crowd, and people began to whisper. Finally, one person stepped up, and said, "Could we have a moment to discuss?" "Of course!" Hiccup said, and he stepped down.

Immediately, the slaves huddled together, discussing furiously. Hiccup watched from the side as everyone spoke their part. Finally, they appeared to conclude, and turned back out.

Hiccup leapt onto the rock again, and tilted his head expectantly. The spokesperson took a deep breath, and said, "Why not?" Hiccup grinned as the Dragon Riders cheered, and yelled out, "Welcome, New Berkians!"