Chapter 17

Shadow roared in distress. His parents were threatened! The other dragons were in the same plight. This was their King and Queen!

Draco Bludvist saw their struggle with satisfaction, a perfect match with the dark clouds that obscured the whole sky, and quietly signaled his men to prepare to attack. "Your move." he said ominously, as Ryker moved the sword a little closer to the neck of the King of Dragons.

Hiccup's mind raced. What can we do?!! Ryker smiled again, and moved the sword closer once more. They will kill the King if we move, they will kill us if we don't, this is impossi...wait. The King and Queen are their leverage against us, so if we attack immediately, they won't kill them, because if they do, they lose their bargaining chip! So, he kept the worried expression on his face, while with his hand, he signaled the attack.

Draco's mouth dropped open as the riders charge, firing at the flagship where the cages were, and blasting everything around it. Everything except the flagship sunk, but when the smoke cleared, it seemed that the ship had been made out of Gronckle Iron!

But Hiccup was right. Ryker didn't bring the sword down, he just froze, realizing what Hiccup had realized.

"Yes! A real battle!" Sarah yelled, as she and Z torched a line of ships. "I've been waiting to get revenge!" Christopher roared as Mango hit the ships with shockwave after shockwave. "This guy had it coming!" Soren said, as he and Lila charged in.

Draco yelled in surprise and annoyance. The plan hadn't worked! He watched in frustration as his forces were burned to the ground, and tried to rally his terrified army, to no avail. Then, he screamed in rage, "SNEEZE COD!!! YOU WILL PAY FOR WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!!!"

"Sneeze Cod!! You told him my name was SNEEZE COD!!!" Hiccup said, as he circled the battlefield with Soren. "What!" he protested, "Involuntary bodily function and fish!"

It was now quite clear that Draco was losing, and the Dragon Riders gained confidence from this, attacking in more and more bold ways.

Finally, Ryker was completely distracted from his job threatening the King of Dragons, and said Night Fury took this opportunity to use his tail to bang Ryker into the side of his cage, knocking him out.

Shadow saw this, and roared, flying up, gathering speed, and shooting down with a piercing whistle. And BOOM!!! The cage shattered, and the ropes binding the King of Dragons fell away, and he flew up. Then, both Night Furies flew up, gathered speed and BOOM!!! BOOM!!! The cage for the Queen of Dragons was shattered, and the guards that had congregated there knocked away.

The Queen of Dragons also flew up, and the family nuzzled. "Okay!" Hiccup said, "Let's do this!"

Draco Bludvist was horrified, as all his work was shattered. And so rage began to cloud his mind, and he yelled, "KILL THE KING OF DRAGONS!!! I DON"T CARE IF WE LOSE OUR LEVERAGE! KILL THEM!!!"

Hiccup definitely hadn't accounted for a nearly insane Draco Bludvist in his plans, so he was caught off guard when weapons of death began to shoot towards the royals. "Evasive action!" he yelled, and the Night Furies swooped and dived, trying not to be impaled.

Then, things went wrong. Suddenly, evasive action became increasingly difficult, as Draco Bludvist grabbed a gun, and began firing furiously. The Night Furies swooped around, trying to avoid the bullets, but the bullets had no aim, so it was nearly impossible not to get hit.

"This is bad...this is bad...this is bad...LOOK OUT!" Hiccup yelled, but it was too late. Two bullets struck home, slamming into the King and Queen of Dragons. They each let out distressed roars, and every single dragon whirled around to look.

This was the opportunity Draco needed. "FIRE!!!" he ordered, and thousands of chains shot from the remaining ships in a great tsunami of death, wrapping around the great congregation of dragons. All while the helpless King and Queen of Dragons plummeted, falling onto a little rock sticking out of the water.

Every single dragon was bound and incapable of flight.

In a great collective scream, the riders toppled off of the plummeting dragons, splashing into the cold ocean. The dragons crashed in as well, but then their bonds jerked taught, and they were dragged away at high speeds, towards the ships in the distance.

Hiccup spat out another mouthful of water, and sawed desperately at the chains. But they were metal, and very difficult to break, when all the dragons were muzzled. So the Inferno Zero slowly bent, and barely a scratch appeared in the chains. What can I do?!! he thought desperately.

Then, he had it. With a roar, he plunged his sword into the connecting ring of the muzzle, setting Shadow's maw free. Shadow whirled around and fired, freeing himself, and then the pair took off, shooting towards the captured dragons.

Then a stray chain shot at the two, crashing into Shadow's outstretched wing. There was a sickening CRACK!, and the wing bent, sending Shadow falling to the ground, onto the same rock as his parents.

The Berkians desperately fought to keep their dragons, but they were dragged away by sheer force, leaving the Berkians exhausted and cold.

"What should we do about the riders, sir?" one of the hunters asked. "Leave them." Draco Bludvist said, "They'll die soon anyway."

The Berkians, seeing the ships pull away, gained energy and frantically paddled through the water towards their dragons, but the vessels were too fast. They finally gave up, and dragged themselves onto the same rock.

Now, all the Berkians watched in horror as the ships carrying their dragons moved further away, and were quickly joined by more ships. And more ships.

Slowly, Draco's entire army pulled up, and coalesced into a swirling mass of ships. Then, a moan brought them back to the issue.

The King and Queen of Dragons lay on their backs, half-dead, with blood streaming out of their bullet wounds. Shadow roared in distress, but his wing was too painful to move. A gasp rippled through the Berkians as they saw the angle it had bent.

It was too broken to fix. Shadow would never fly again.

Quickly, the Berkians rushed up, binding Shadow's wing, while another group began to treat the wounds of the King and Queen, removing the bullets and expertly bandaging the skin. But blood wasn't the only thing lost.

With the terrible injury, their Alpha power had begun to pour out in their blood, and it melted away the bandages, which the Berkians hastily redid. But it happened again. And again. And the truth finally settled on them all. The two Alpha's wouldn't survive the day.

But all Hiccup could think, as Shadow cried out in grief, was one horrible thing. I brought the dragons out of the Hidden World. I put them in danger. And now, everyone will pay for my mistakes.

I should have left the dragons in the Hidden World.