Chapter One Hundred And Sixty Three - We experience a tea ceremony

Medicinal Cuisine could be separated into three areas of expertise.  The first, the one that was generally learned by those few who expressed interest, was Medicinal Cooking; taking choice pieces of flesh, such as the heart, the brain and other cuts of meats from a Spirit Beast and combining it with various herb leaves and roots to produce a bowl full of delicious goodness.  Bursting with flavour and tenderness, it was not only nutritious, but had long term benefits for Cultivators.  Ordinary people could also enjoy the most basic of recipes, however were not able to eat the Cuisine enjoyed by higher stage Cultivators lest their dormant or blocked meridians burst, killing them.

Medicinal Brewing produced Medicinal Wines and Liqueurs.  They were made from fermenting certain spirit fruits or grains and herbs.  The vendor of the stall, that Leon traded two bottle of Blood Pills as well as three bottles of Fire Water Tonic for one sealed jug, explained the best grains were found in warmer areas, so his wines were all made with fruits, which were easier to find in these parts.  Brewing was not as popular to learn as, just like potion making, the brew could spoil within the vat, wasting several weeks worth of wait, however this meant his wines were far more valuable than his fellow student's soups.

And then there was the much lesser known Medicinal Tea making.  This was a little looked down upon, even by other Medicinal Cuisine fanatics, for while it only used herbs in its creation, the effects were much less noticeable than soups and significantly so compared to wines.  However, the two girls, who enthusiastically invited them over to experience it, loved this small trade and even went so far as to merge the traditional tea ceremony that one had been taught within her noble household.

She had Leon and Jin Li sit opposite each other on a raised platform, with a small low table between them and from the side, she ground very specific volumes of herbs together in a pestle and mortar before them.  She seemed quite versed, as she effortlessly produced a tea that was ground evenly, but not so fine as to be called a powder.  Adding a measure of this to an ornate teapot, she poured hot water upon it and swirled the teapot clockwise once before placing the pot between them.  She then passed Leon a porcelain cup, placing it before him, before turning to Jin Li to do the same.

The girl was very professional, Leon felt, putting them both at ease and not starring with twinkling eyes at his boyfriend, like so many other girls liked to do.  Honestly, he'd never noticed before just how much attention Jin Li drew to him until their relationship had stepped onto this level and now, he couldn't help but notice!  But he didn't want to be a clingy boyfriend, so he'd swallowed down his resentment as they wandered around the Festival, pretending as if it didn't matter.

Jin Li had not noticed the stares directed at him, though he had felt eyes glancing their way.  Clearly, his small alchemist garnered too much attention now that his stunning eyes could be witnessed by all, completing his already adorable face.  Hence Jin Li had retained a firm grasp upon his wrist as they walked around, declaring ownership.

As the tea and their own thoughts brewed, a disturbance began nearby.  Jin Li and Leon both turned to look over and noticed that it was at the stall of the woman who had introduced them to Medicinal Cuisine.  She had said it was unpopular and from what was occurring, it was clear she was not lying.

Leon had some minor experience with the inner school and it hadn't been a bad experience, so he had previously assumed that it was much like the outer school, but with more resources aimed at moulding the highly talented.  His older brother had hinted earlier that it was not that great a place to be, as if they would be bullied there, but Leon had paid it no mind, after all, what bullying had he not experienced in the outer school?

"I said I wanted a bowl of Celestial Pearl Grains," the young man making the demands was dressed in high quality, embroidered silk.  These robes, much like Leon's, were tailored to his ankles and the sash and belt upon his waist, elongated his frame.  His hair was styled into a top-knot, with a jade crown and hair pin.  He also wore an ornate gold lock about his neck.  It was as if he was an advertisement for great wealth and riches.

The woman looked at him with a sour expression, clearly aware that he was up to no good, but what could she do when this arrogant young Master was surrounded by his lackeys as he mocked her stall and secondary profession.  "I don't have Celestial Pearl Grains," she replied, coldly.  "I'm sure you are aware that this is not a restaurant and I have only produced Meridian Enlightening Soup and Spring Heart Stew.  If you don't wish to trade for a bowl, then I humbly request you to leave."

"And you call this Medicinal Cuisine!" The fop sneered.  "Can't even supply Celestial Pearl Grains for the good of the Festival.  What a joke!" He rudely kicked over the sign she had placed before her stall, causing his friends to chuckle.

This man was clearly pleased with himself for making the woman feel uncomfortable.  The man with the wines was quietly packing away his brews; it seemed that he had experienced trouble with this young master before.  Others, in this area, had mixed reactions, some clearly angered, but restraining themselves helplessly, more enjoying the whole play, nodding and smirking. A few simply looked away as if they hadn't seen anything.

Jin Li simply sipped the tea that had been nervously poured in the meantime.  "J-Jin Li," Leon found himself asking.  "What are Celestial P-Pearl G-G-Grains?"

The martial artist carefully placed down his cup and replied; "It's a type of rice."

"Eh?"

"It's a grain that contains Spiritual Energy, but normal people can eat it without ill effects," he continued, "It's not easy to grow so it's naturally expensive to buy.  Even within the richest of sects and families, only the heads of the family might be fortunate enough to consume it.  A student expecting to eat it in a school, only a fool could imagine it."  Jin Li's voice was not quiet as he said these words.  Indeed, many took note.  The youth did not shout nor raise his voice, but it travelled very clearly around the area.  The fop also heard his ridicule.

"You dare..." the young Master said between gritted teeth, but Jin Li was not listening to him, his attention upon the youth sitting quietly opposite him.

"B-but if it's a t-type of rice," Leon said, after considering this for a moment, "Why d-does it h-have such a silly n-n-name?"