Chapter Six

Halliwell turned and faced Abbey. "You, can go home, get some rest but make sure you and your classmates are in my office with your passports at nine tomorrow morning or else."

Indignant, she faced him, her arms crossed. "Do you expect me to find my own way home?"

"Yes."

She sighed. "So much for the public helping the police. Where's your office."

"New Scotland Yard." He fumbled and retrieved a card from his jacket pocket. "Show this at the main desk, and they'll escort you."

"And if I don't turn up?"

His eyes sparkled. "I'll have you arrested."

She shrugged. "An interesting point but first you prove I've stolen something. I never told Peters which bank."

"Abbey, shut up. I can hold you on causing a public disturbance by farting in a lift. My people can probe your bank accounts. Believe me when I say I have the power to direct judges. It may not be kosher, but then I don't give a shit."

She laughed as she climbed the stairs to the shop. "See you tomorrow and I'll make sure the others come with me."

"I suggest you do." The calmness in his voice made her smile.

***

A shout came from the tunnel entrance shaft. The thump of boots on metal rungs told the inspector his men were returning. He helped both into the bedroom. "Find anything?"

The sweat on their brows sparkled in the light. "After a few false starts we discovered the ladder Spink used to climb to the surface. It led to a school playground," said the senior constable.

"Go and wait in the wagon."

The inspector gave Halliwell the news.

He shrugged. "I'm not surprised. Leave two men here until the local plod arrive. Tomorrow is another day."

With the building secure, Halliwell and the inspector left.

***

As Abbey approached the closest bus stop, she saw Jacob. His movements were stiff as he emerged from behind the bushes and into the gloom.

A wicked smile played on his lips, and his eyes had the look of annoyance. "Well if it isn't the telltale."

She glared straight at him as fear-drenched her. The fingers of her right hand gripped her house keys.

He took a step forward shoving his face close to hers. "You have something of mine. Give it to me, or I'll take it."

Abbey's shoulders stiffened as she stared straight at Jacob. "The police are searching for you. Fuck off before I scream."

His voice rose. "I watched your friends leave. So what do we do now?" He had expected panic. She was tougher than he had imagined.

As if she had read his thoughts, she sliced his face with her right hand and ran.

He staggered, shocked but recovered and raced after her.

She charged across the road and into the shadows of a building site.

Blood dripped from his wound as he followed.

Abbey was halfway through the rows of half-built buildings when she heard him roar. "I'm going to kill you but first I'll fuck you."