Chapter Ten

Shattered, Abbey fell into a deep sleep but stirred when daylight peaked through the gap in the curtains. She showered, dressed in her black jeans and oversized blue Shetland jumper. As she slipped a pair of trainers over her small feet, she chatted to her baby. "It's you and me now, babe. We don't need that arsehole, but we can't afford this place. We need to take an inventory of our life. Where would you like to live? No, I don't know either. How about we have a look at what's available?"

She thought she felt the child kick. "So you are paying attention."

Hungry, she went to the kitchen and made four slices of toast, covered them with raspberry jam and ate them.

Two hours seated in front of her laptop, staring at property adverts online made her eyes ache and head throb. She made a decision on a two-bedroom apartment with riverside views, and private car parking.

She printed the details, closed her laptop and headed out to the coffee shop. With her mind focused on a new start, she strode along the pavement with an air of determination.

The window of Charles and Son, Estate Agents, garnered her interest. On entering, a tall, blonde-haired woman wearing a dark blue trouser suit strolled towards her. In a patronizing manner, she asked, "Can I help?"

"I have a property I want to sell."

"Can you give me the address?"

"Flat number 1, 14 Chelsea Grove Gardens."

"I take it the owner knows you are here?"

The tone of the woman's voice irritated Abbey. "Tell you what; I'll try an agency where human beings work."

A frown filled the woman's face. "One moment, please. I need to speak to my boss."

"Why? Is it above your pay grade? Don't bother, I'm out of here."

"Is there a problem, Debbie?" His tone matched his Savile Row suit, and his face shone with confidence. He smiled at Abbey and offered his hand.

Abbey found him unnerving. He was captivating and spoke the words she wanted to hear but somehow could not trust. Everyone has flaws. He was too perfect.

"Nothing I cannot handle, Barry. This young lady wants to sell her flat."

He turned and offered Abbey his right hand. When they shook hands, she found his grip harsh. "It's my pleasure to meet you." He pointed with his right hand. "Please come to my office, and we can discuss your details in private. Debbie, forget that instant muck. I'll have a fresh peculated black coffee, and for this charming young woman?"

"A glass of water, please."

Abbey watched Debbie stomped away.

Barry guided Abbey to his sanctuary.

She walked faster when his hand brushed her thigh.

Seated in an expensive black leather chair, he asked the pertinent questions.

Debbie appeared and slammed a glass of water on the desk. "It's instant or nothing, the machine broken."

Barry gave her a scornful look, said nothing and dismissed her. As he completed the forms, Abbey sipped at her glass of water.

"You are in luck. I have a dozen clients in mind for your accommodation. How soon can you vacate?"

She leant back, churched her fingers and stared at him. "Haven't a clue."