Chapter Eighteen

Abbey's mobile buzzed.

"Good morning, Bill. I was about to ring you. I have a problem."

"You've changed your mind."

"No. I've had a fire in my flat. The kitchen's a right off. You'll have to delay the sale until it's repaired."

"That's a shame. I have a client who wanted to view. I have an idea, but I need to speak to an interested party. I'll get back when I have any news."

"Can't you give me a clue?" she asked.

"If my idea bears fruit, I'll call you and arrange a meeting. Keep your fingers crossed."

"Okay. Talk later."

Abbey strolled to Parsons Green station. Using her student Oyster Card, she jumped on the District Line to Westminster. Within thirty minutes, she entered New Scotland Yard.

A woman in plain clothes escorted her to Commander Haliwell's office. Neither said a word as the lift ascended.

Annie looked up as Abbey entered. "You'll have to wait, he's on the phone."

"I'd rather not be here."

"You should have been a good girl."

"I did nothing wrong."

"I wouldn't agree. When's your baby due?"

"Four months, give or take."

The speaker on Annie's desk lit up. Haliwell spoke. "Send her in, Annie."

Haliwell nodded to Abbey as he pointed at a chair and wondered if he was over thinking the missile problem. After all, nothing had happened since the murder of the main subject. "I'm told your property suffered from major fire damage."

Surprise filled Abbey's face. "How could you know that?"

"I told you we would be watching you and your friends."

"I thought it was no more than a verbal threat. I didn't think you would actually have me followed."

"It's what I do."

"You still don't believe me, do you?"

Haliwell doodled with a red pen on his notepad. The laptop was a no go. Jacob Spink was dead and no other missile launched. He checked the time.

"I'm closing the investigation. We know Spink fired India's missile. How he did this died with him. Thanks to your friend, our military received the funding to upgrade their systems. The case is closed. I turned up nothing of any use but then perhaps it never existed. You are free to go."

Abbey opened her mouth to say something but bit her tongue instead.

"I said you're free to go."

Her expression did not change. "A phone call would have sufficed."

"You don't seem surprised."

"Told you before, I knew nothing."

"I don't believe you. You're the clever one. From what I'm told you'll get a first without even trying."

"Have you finished?"

"No, and I need a favour."

Abbey glanced at him and smiled. "You threaten to arrest me. Ask a lot of stupid questions, and now you want my help?"

"You can always say no." He opened a drawer, removed her passport and handed it to her.

"So, what's this favour?"