Chapter 3

♔ ♔ ♔

"Remember, boys," Bruce reminded for the fourth time that day. "Do not lower the Manor's defense and security systems under any circumstances, unless absolutely necessary."

"Yes, Bruce, we got it the first time you told us." Jason rolled his eyes exasperatedly.

Bruce continued as if Jason hadn't said anything. "And when the team arrives, make sure to verify their identities. We have shapeshifters like Clayface to think about."

"We know, Bruce!"

"Also, make sure the team doesn't find out who you are."

"Yes, yes, Bruce, we know! Now, don't you have somewhere else you need to be?" Dick huffed in slight irritation.

Bruce pulled the cowl over his face. "Yes. One more thing. Alfred has been informed of the situation, but I told him not to return here yet. Frankly, he deserves the break and he should go visit his family like he originally intended. Also, if the team asks, Bruce Wayne is on a business trip to Alaska and won't be back until next week because of some problems that arose with the developments of Wayne Enterprises's R & D department. He is also currently unaware of this situation. You are to tell the team that he remains uncontactable, however Batman is working on getting in touch with him in case he returns to Gotham in the middle of this mess."

Dick nodded. "And what will you really be doing?"

"Tracking the Joker."

"Figures."

Tim looked up from his spot in front of the Batcomputer. "Better get going, B. Our satellites are detecting the bioship entering Gotham. We'd better get ready."

"See ya soon, Old Man!" Jason called out before heading out of the Batcave. Tim stood up from the chair, gave Bruce a small wave and followed Jason out of the Batcave, coffee mug in his hand.

"Good luck, Father."

"Be careful, B."

Bruce nodded wordlessly and stepped into the Batmobile. Gunning the engines, he cast one last look back at his two remaining sons. He hoped this would turn out okay. Taking his eyes off his boys, he buckled himself in, and with a loud roar, the Batmobile finally zoomed out of the waterfall entrance of the Batcave, leaving the two boys alone with the chittering bats.

"Come on, Dami. We don't want to be late." Dick put his arm around his little brother.

"Unhand me, Grayson," Damian scowled, though Dick noticed he didn't try to shake his arm off his shoulder. He smiled as they both headed up the elevator back into the Manor to get ready for their visitors/protectors.

♔ ♔ ♔

Meanwhile...
"Hope those boys aren't snobbish brats like rich kids normally are," Artemis commented from her seat in the bioship. The bioship was in camouflage mode, flying over Gotham City's gloomy buildings and abandoned warehouses at a fast pace. Wally was eating a sandwich he got from god-knows-where, munching and gobbling it up at a speed that would make the Flash jea—oh wait. Conner was staring out the window in fascination (or at least, Artemis thought it was fascination, it was pretty hard to tell with the clone) at Gotham's bleak and dismal landscape. M'gann was seated in the driver's seat, her face slightly scrunched up in concentration, controlling and monitoring the bioship's route. Kaldur was reading through the additional information provided by Batman that they may need concerning the Wayne boys and the villains of Gotham.

"Nah, I don't think they are," Wally said around a mouthful of his sandwich.

Artemis raised an eyebrow. "And why's that, Baywatch?"