Chapter 9

It was early in the morning as you laid on the couch that you used as a bed. You stared at the ceiling as only the sound in the house was Ash's snoring. You moved your arm to where your z-band was in view. 

"The Z-crystal." You said to yourself as the memory of you using a Z-move against Tapu Lele played in your mind. Your short trance was interrupted when Ash's snoring stop and the sound of rustling was heard. You figured he was awake or at the least, waking up. That was confirmed when Rotomdex's high pitched voice shouted from the second floor.

"Who are you and what have you done with the Ash who sleeps in everyday?!" Rotomdex yelled from the second floor.

"Can you be a little more quiet. It's seven in the morning." You told him as Rotom looked down at you.

"Sorry (Y/N)." He said in a more hushed voice. Then Ash suddenly jumped down from the second floor.

"(Y/N), you're awake. I've been thinking, I can't wait to use a Z-move again." Ash said what you had also been thinking about.

"You two huh? If that's the case then we better go and get ourselves another Z-Crystal then." You said with a small smile. Ash smiled too before a rumbling noise was heard. Ash stood their awkwardly as you smirked at him. "But I guess we should get something to eat first instead."

Timeskip

All of the Pokemon were eating their food as you were still eating your breakfast. Ash was already finished as he was bringing his bowl to Professor Kukui who was in the kitchen. The three of you had been discussing about the Z-crystal.

"A Z-Crystal?" Kukui asked as Ash put his bowl on the counter in front of him.

"Yeah, I want to get a lot stronger and have a rematch with Tapu Koko." Ash tells him while leaning on the counter.

"I would also like to battle Lele again." You called out from the couch. You had finished your breakfast and started to bring the plate over to Kukui.

"Hm." Kukui hums as he washes Ash's bowl.

"I want to try those Z-Moves again. Yeah! Right, buddy?" Ash asks Pikachu who agrees with him. 

"You're as fired up as if you were hit by a Blast Burn!" Kukui said.

"If I remember correctly, you can earn Z-Crystals by going through the island challenge. Isn't that right?" You asks while holding up the empty Z-Band.

"It isn't the only way, but going through the island challenge is the most certain way!" Kukui stated while slamming two glasses of milk on the counter.

"So there are other ways to get Z-Crystals besides the island challenge." You thought to yourself before taking a drink of the milk.

"The key to success is to pass the grand trail of each of the islands' Kahunas." Kukui continues his explanation.

"How do you do that?" Ash asks after chugging his drink.

"I will answer that. A grand trial is a battle between trainer and the Kahuna. If the trainer wins then the Kahuna acknowledges that trainer's worthiness." Rotom explained the trails.

"Whoa! Sounds like fun!" Ash yelled in excitement.

"Fun? You're up against a Kahuna. if you're too overconfident, you can get hurt and lose." Kukui said while moving Rotom out of the way.

"It sounds a little too straight foward to me. There's got to be something more to it right?" You asked as Rotom broke free from Kukui's hold.

"Right you are (Y/N). According to my data, a grand trail is preceded by lesser trails that must be overcome first." Rotom reveals to the both of you.