17. Do You Believe In Second Chances?

Cover me in Love.
*:・゚・゚:*:・゚・゚:*:・゚・゚:*:・゚・゚:*:・゚:*

Disclaimer: None of the characters are dead...yet. lol. Also, this chapter is plot twisted so...you've been warned.

Th-Thump. Thud-Thump. Thud-Thump.

They say if you want to know if you're still alive, hold your breath.

Try letting your lungs fight for air until you become dizzy and weak. Feel your body hang on for dear life, starting in the stomach and working its way up to your throat. You'll know your dying when you can hear your heartbeat thumping against your ears. Finally, when you can no longer hold your breath, release it by sucking in all the air until you're choking on it.

You have to choke on that damn air like your life depends on it.

Now, Yanni, breathe.

My windpipes open up, letting a gush of air travel down my lungs in an intense rush. Every part of me welcomes it too, like a newborn baby experiencing life for the first time. I'm alive, alert, and breathing, but I can't see shit.

Why is everything still black? Oh, wait, I think I remember.

A flood of memories come rushing back into my mind as I recall my last moments. Our marble table hurled itself at our circle without so much of a warning.

However, that's not entirely true, the last thing I did was close my eyes, gripped my sister's hands, and braced for impact. Except, I didn't feel anything hitting me. Nor, did I hear my sisters scream from the marble table launching at us or the fire engulfing us.

My point is: We should be dead!

And what about Zion! Is he dead? My mind races even faster as I recollect more of my memories.

My heart rate goes into overdrive as I squeeze my eyes even tighter, suppressing all my doubts until I notice that I'm not holding my sister's hands anymore.

Instead, I hear their voices coming from downstairs, whispering about me and my unexpected phone call from Zion. Except that phone call happened hours ago. And why are they talking as if they don't have a clue about our magic backfiring?

Feeling lost and confused, I flip my eyelids open, ready to accept whatever happened with our Four Elemental Clause Act spell. And lo and behold, the tiny hairs on my arms rise as I slowly gaze at everything around me. Instead of standing downstairs in the Family Room, near the magic circle, I'm upstairs, on the top steps by my bedroom. My knees wobble as I grab hold of the rail.

The truth is our house should be burnt to a crisp with my sisters and me inside of it.

Looking for an escape route, I turn around and sprint back to my bedroom. As I'm dashing through my door, I step in a puddle of water, still dripping on the floor.

"What the hell?" I mumble, recalling how I got so mad for hanging up on Zion that I created a giant water ball and threw it against my door. But it should be dry by now. Right?

Am I dreaming? No, I can't be. If this were a dream, Zion would be here, bare-chested and wearing white linen pants.

Focus, Yanni.

I take a deep breath, knowing my only option is to go downstairs and figure out what's going on. If I am losing my mind, it's best to keep it to myself, since there are tales of Witches going crazy due to foreseeing the future.

As I inch closer down to the last step, my slender hands trail along our walls, admiring our photos and the astrological symbols engraved on it. Everything is just how I remembered it as sisters look at me with worried expressions. They're standing in the same exact spot a few hours ago with the TV on the news station. Odd.