29. Please, Don't Make Me Say It

Queen energy, gold stardust, and lots of Magic.   *:・゚・゚:*:・゚・゚:*:・゚・゚:*:・゚・゚:*:・゚:*

Admittedly, Detective Antonio Cree walking in our shop is bold as hell. It's like he's toying with me, compelling me, or hoping I'll reveal my secrets before time runs out.

But I have Junie on my side. Ever since the false alarm with Alexander, our magic has synced up. We have a light glow, an instinctive vibe, and an extraordinary girl-power magnetism radiating through our veins as the Detective walks by, feeling our energy.

Cree takes his time, observing a variety of crystals gleaming under the light, sniffing Aunt BeeBee's potions, and in essence, prolonging the moment. When I don't follow up with the 'how do you know my name' question, he grins, realizing he's put me in a compromising situation with Junie. And that's when flashbacks of our moment by the restaurant's restroom pops up as he strolls around the shop.

A slow, steady exhale, escapes from my mouth, preparing me for what I have to say next. "Are you looking for something in particular?"

Detective Cree grins. "I am, but I'm not 100% sure yet," he lurks, letting his words sink in. His comment gives me the chills like there's more to it. "But I'm sure, I'll figure it out soon. Thanks..."

You're welcome, asshole.

When Cree turns his back on us, I assume, pretending to be interested in the Moss Agate stones, Junie twists her head, blinks rapidly, trying to get my attention. When I finally realize what Junie's showing me, my heart beats five times faster than ever.

It's one of Alexander's illegal documents lying on the floor, five feet away from Detective Cree's foot. And if Cree looks down, it's over.

We whisper in silence, nudging the other to grab the paper before he notices. That means one of us will have to step away from the counter, walk over, and scoop up the document. Who's will it be?

Detective Cree peeks back at us. "It's quiet in here..." When neither, Junie nor I respond, he continues, still smiling. "Anyway, I thought I check out the neighborhood and the local residence of Witches and Warlocks."

"Oh," I nod, stepping away from the register towards the paper. I'm trying to be inconspicuous by straightening out a few books, stones, and other trinkets to avoid detection. I'm inching closer to my target while playing it cool. "Nice."

Detective watches me, and for a brief moment, I wonder if he notices the way I peek between him, Junie, and the document. Or the way I randomly glare at him for 'befriending' Zion.

Yanni, focus.

"You may not know this, but," Detective Cree steps a few inches in my direction, studying the shop. "I'm not from here."

It's true. Every person from the Witch/Warlock community knows  about Detective Cree and his story. It's a tale that no one gossips about, but we all know the truth. Or is it the other way round? Either way, it's a shady detective story.

Junie lets out a fake laugh, distracting him. "Well, that's obvious, Mr?"

"Ah-where are my manners? It's Cree," he adds, raising a brow. "Antonio Cree. I work for the NIWP. I'm sure you've heard of them, and possibly me as well."

I feel my knees buckling under pressure, knowing. "Oh nice, and what brings you to New Orleans?"

I don't care what he has to say, but I need him to focus on other things aside from what I'm doing. I'm playing a dangerous game between pretending with Cree, to not telling my sisters the truth about him. Eventually, I'll need to confess about the restaurant moment, but for now, get the paper.