Hydrangeas (Ch. 2)

(Y/n) heard the bell of the flower shop's door chime. She immediately perked up from what she was doing - which is arranging flowers. An old man with quite a powerful build that shouts respect and authority entered. (Y/n) immediately felt intimidated with the man's presence but she chose to face him professionally. She gave him a bright smile when their eyes met which was immediately returned with the same gesture (that caught her by surprise).

"Good morning. How may I help you, sir?" She asked while making her way in front of the man who was scanning the place with his own eyes. She noticed how the man was dressed with the Japanese traditional clothing which fits him very well and adds more to his unusually elegant features. If that makes sense. The old man has white hair - which of course is a result of his age - that goes down just centimeters above his shoulders. His eyes are narrow and sunken. (Y/n) also noticed how the man's build was actually quite impressive for his age and how tall he is. 'Wow he almost looks like a yakuza boss or something'

"Ah. I'm visiting my wife today, it's her birthday and I wanted to give her some flowers." The customer replied, still giving her the same smile.

"Do you happen to know if she prefers any kind of flowers?" (Y/n) asked, hoping that she might get a hint to be able to provide assistance to the old man's needs. She took note of how the man scratch his chin- as if thinking hard about the question. After a few seconds the man replied while giving her a light chuckle, "I've got nothing, sorry. Guess my memory's failing me today."

"It's okay, sir. We all have that thing going on every once in a while. One time, I even forgot my own name when someone asked me." She said, giving the old man a reassuring smile. She wasn't lying though, she actually forgot her own name when a fellow artist that she looks up to asked her but she just ended up like a stuttering mess. 'Maybe because I was too flustered to think.'

She was released from her thoughts after hearing the old man let out a chuckle. "How about you, miss? Do you happen to have a favorite flower?" The man asked in return.

"Well... I actually have a lot. But my top three are probably lily of the valley, baby's breath, and..." before finishing her sentence - as if by instinct - she glanced at the painting that was hanging on one of the shop's walls, which did not go unnoticed by the man that stood in front of her. "Hydrangeas." She continued.

"Ah. I see. Then I'll take a bunch of those, I guess." The customer said which made (y/n) return her attention to him. "W-wait. Are you sure, sir?" The girl asked, thinking that she might have forced her own preference to the old man.

"Of course, and I'm sure my wife wouldn't mind as well."

"Well, if you insist. I'll prepare your order for a minute, sir. Feel free to look around the shop while I'm on it." (Y/n) replied, feeling relieved from her customer's reply.

After preparing the customer's orders, which was already paid a while ago, a man wearing a suit entered the store and hurriedly made his way to the old man who was carrying the flowers that he purchased. (Y/n) saw the man in suit whisper something to the old man which was only replied with a firm nod. After that, the man in suit immediately made his way out of the shop.

"Well, I have to go now, young lady. Thank you for helping me out with these flowers." The old man said, accompanied of his own smile. The girl also gave him a warm smile in return "No problem, sir! Feel free to come back anytime. And happy birthday to your wife! Thank you for your purchase!" (Y/n) said enthusiastically while slightly bowing her head.

The man just gave her a nod without removing the same smile on his face and finally left. 'Such a nice old man.' (Y/n) thought.

The female then made her way back to the part of the counter where she was arranging flowers a few moments before the old man arrived. But without realizing it, her eyes landed on the same painting that she was looking at a while ago. It was also the same painting that she was gazing at when she met the guy with the piercing amber orbs a few months before.

It was a painting of a man standing at a sidewalk while the sky is crying, releasing its tears like it had suffered from a painful event. In the background, a great amount of hydrangeas can be seen. Its blue and purple petals, shining under the rain like it was fated to be there on that very scene. While the main part of the painting - the man whose head was hanging low which kept his face from being seen - was clenching his chest, indicating the pain that he was feeling inside his heart. She didn't know why, but every time she looks at the man in the painting, she was reminded by the guy who held the most beautiful golden yet mysterious eyes that she has ever seen her entire life.

'I wonder if I'll see him again' (Y/n) asked herself. Which took her by surprise because she never questioned herself like that before and it gave off a strange feeling on her chest. After a few seconds, she decided to just shake it off and focus her attention again on the same canvas.

This certain painting was not purchased on (y/n)'s exhibit a few months ago. Not because there wasn't anyone who wanted to spend their money to get it but because (Y/n) herself refused any offers from people who took a liking to the painting. She didn't understand why she did that, but she just couldn't let go of it no matter what so she decided to just take it home and hang it on the walls of her own little flower shop that she built from the money that she acquired from her first exhibit.

The painting itself fits perfectly inside the shop which is also her own home. The second floor of the building is where her own living quarters is located. While the third floor occupies her art studio where she makes her paintings and other projects that she does.

The sound of the bell hanging on the door immediately took away the girl's attention from the painting.