Prologue

"There will be a client coming soon so stay in here and be quiet!" mother said before shutting the lid of the trunk and closing the buckles. I hugged my knees close to my chest and focused on staying quiet, fearing that one sound may spook the client and anger mother. Keeping my eyes open or closing them didn't make a difference to the darkness within the trunk. It made waiting for the noises more frightening. Finally, the noises came and I tried to block it out as much as I could. Those noises always scared me. The moaning, the grunting and the screaming haunted me. 

My mother's job wasn't something she was proud of either and neither was me. In her eyes, I was a mistake that she couldn't get rid of. The product of an affair that left her with nothing. The child of a man that took everything away from her, her innocence, her comfortable life, and her happiness. 

My father was a wealthy man who promised her riches and wealth in exchange for a night with her. My mother wasn't poor but she was in love. Blinded by her love for my father, she spent the night with him under the pretense that he would fall in love with her, take her away with him and eventually marry her, only to find him gone the next morning without even saying goodbye. My mother was naive and in love. A dangerous combination that ruined her in the end. The bastard had no plans of marrying her and once my grandparents found out that she was pregnant without a husband, she was cast out of her house and left to rot in the streets. I was the reason she was cast out of her house. I was the reason she was suffering now. She would never miss the chance to remind me that I meant nothing to her. She treated me less like a human being and more like a pet she could easily get rid of once she was bored of me.

Now, she spent her days wallowing and drinking in bars, spending the night with various men in their houses or even bringing them home with her. Using the money they gave her to fund her vices. I've never known love from my mother so I never felt love for her. I didn't know what love was because she never taught it to me. She never taught me anything, actually. I had to learn on my own with the books some of her clients would leave behind and by watching the people that would pass by while I was in the garden. They seemed like sensible men but the alcohol in their system made them do strange things. Things that I was glad I wasn't aware of because I was stuck in the trunk. Never once did I dare to sneak a peak outside because if they saw me, my mother would get angry and hurt me.

I tried to think of other things to distract me. Like how I was going to tend to the garden once mother left. How pretty the flowers looked in full bloom. How calming the bird's songs were and how fun it would be to pick some flowers and make flower crowns. How I would climb the apple tree and snack on its fruit while I read a book. How I would play with the stray cats that would visit me on occasion. 

Eventually, the noises stopped and the whole room went silent. I heard the clicking of buckles being unlocked and figured that mother was done with her business but as the lid was lifted, I was faced with a new face. A man dressed in red stared down at me, his lips curling into a toothy grin. "Looks like I found an abandoned kitten in a box" he said, grinning from ear to ear. " U-uhm... W-who are you a-and w-where is my mother?" I asked the man but I was already dreading the answer before he could say it. He only spoke two words but those to words were enough to make my heart drop. 

"She left" he said with a sly smile. I knew this day would eventually come. She would find a decent man who was willing to marry her and take her away from her hellish life and she would forget about me. I knew it would eventually happen but strangely, I felt sad and...lonely. It finally dawned on me that from now on, I was officialy on my own. The only familiar thing I had was my mother but now she was gone. I was lost.

The man in red reached into the trunk and easily lifted me out as if I were the same weight as a feather. He held me like how you would a cat you had just picked up from the street. He stared at me with his eyes that hid behind orange tinted sunglasses while his lips remained curled in a grin. It was the first time anyone had smiled or grinned while looking at me. I had always gotten disgusted looks from my mother and sometimes she would even glare at me but never in my wildest dreams did I think that I would see anyone make that kind of face while staring at me. He was staring at me curiously as well. 

Then, he stroked my chin like you would with a cat and to my surprise, I purred like a cat. His grin grew wider while his eyes seemed to light up at hearing me purr. 

"Hmm... Interesting. This little kitten is interesting, I'll keep her" he said before readjusting his hold on me, carrying me like one of those princesses.

When he stepped out of the house I called home with me in his arms I realised that that was the last familiar thing I would ever see again. From that point on, I was truly going to be on my own.

This was only the beginning of this life of mine.