7| Bears and Berries

July, 23. 1:20 PM

Yuki had gotten out and was sitting on the edge.

She was leaning back on her hands, looking around and up at the blue sky. It was clear, except for small wisps of clouds that were scattered randomly.

The scene around her gifted her with inner peace; she hasn't sat outside in the sun for a while now. She hasn't known except being curled up under the covers with her laptop, phone, and K-dramas.

Her breath was steady; she inhaled and exhaled slowly. Occasional warm breezes caressed her wet face.

The only audible noises were the faint bird chirps and the gentle pattering of the small waterfall.

She lied down on her back and gazed up at the sky.

For a few moments, she had closed her eyes, and as soon as she started falling asleep-falling into that light sleep state-bad dreams, or rather, flashbacks immediately came through.

"I love you." her brother's face bore an empathetic and slightly regretful smile.
"I love you too, idiot."
"Please remain in your seats!"
"We are going to die!"
"Noona, hold tight!" Their hands clutched together tightly as the defeaning sound of the engine exploding filled the cool morning air.

Yuki sat up and panted loudly. She found her knuckles white as her hands clutched onto the grass as if her life depended on it.

"Oh, Mingyu..." she weeped, hugging her legs, and burying her face in them.

---

She sniffled as she hanged her wet undergarments on the branch of a tree, and continued putting on her clothes.

She sat down under the same tree and just stared at nowhere in particular.

She knew she wouldn't be able to survive if she doesn't find something to eat and a source of heat.

After a few minutes of despair, she knew that would be of no use, so she set out to find something to eat.

---

Yuki kept wandering around aimlessly, making sure not to get too far, though.

She kept walking and looked around for any kind of fruit; killing animals for the sake of her survival wasn't exactly an option. Besides, there's no fire and she wouldn't eat raw meat-even if her life depended on it, which in this case, it did.

Suddenly Yuki heard loud chirping and flapping sounds. She looked up, and there was a pair of birds fighting for what looked like a twig of berries. That must mean there's a berry bush close by.

She scanned the area around the birds closely, and a spark of hope started in her heart as she finally found what looked like wild berries. There were only a few on a small bush.

She took one, and took a close look at it, trying to figure out whether it's safe to eat.

It almost looked like those ones she found in the grocery store-those ones which she wouldn't waste her money on.