-15-

The nearest pack was a two-hour walk away.

Sansa started there.

Though she would never admit it out loud, she didn't like to shift. There was something about the nature of the wolf that almost...frightened her. The power of the body, the force of the creature- all of it left her in awe, but she felt completely useless when using it.

Like she didn't belong there.

She knew it would take time since she was new to the process, but she preferred the way the world was still and peaceful in the human eye. Not the black and white vortex of the wolf. Not the almost savage air of survival that came upon her when taking the animal's skin. The simplicity of thought and life fell into a rigid category of what was necessary and not necessary- and Sansa thought that the skin of the wolf was suited more for the minds of those who sought power and advantage over their hearts, than people who wanted rest and peace.

Maybe.

Again, she was still inexperienced, and rarely did those outside of the warrior's circle ever have a need to shift. Some went years without changing, forgoing the ways of the wolf and casting aside the fur of the animal.

Sansa knew better.

She knew it was a part of her.

So it was with great reluctance that she stripped within the forest, closing her eyes and feeling the change take over her.

The two-hour walk quickly fell into under an hour.

At the edge of the woods lining the other pack, before she could scent the line where the border patrol roamed, she changed back and began walking on two feet.

Warren had warned her ahead of time that it was wise to be in skin when entering foreign packs. Some did not give time to explain and assumed without thought that any wolf outside their land was a rouge.

That was technically what Sansa was now though.

She smiled at the thought, thinking herself very similar to Night now.

Like her, she also did not belong to a pack.

At the thought of Night, her heart fell. A sadness came into her, one that she couldn't throw aside. It might have been that scent of sorrow that caught the attention of the passing border patrol as he called out for her to stop.

Sansa did as told, not wanting to cause trouble or seem unwilling to comply.

A male stepped forward from the trees, eyes narrowed at Sansa.

"Female, state your reason for coming onto this land."

"I'm looking for my mate."

His features instantly relaxed.

"I see. Follow me."

He glanced back at her, taking her in before shaking his head.

"Not me I guess." He smiled down at her.

Sansa felt her cheeks color at his blunt words.

"Oh no I um-..." her words trailed off, causing the male to look at her in confusion as she became lost in thought.

"I'll take you to the Alpha. We had a female come last week looking also, but she left the same day. I hope you're luckier in your search."

"Thank you."

Sansa took in the different houses of the pack, not looking away from the curious eyes as they watched her pass by.

"Feel free to look," the male said, his words again making Sansa blush.