-18-

The image of the Alpha's eyes haunted Sansa.

Her progress was slow after that.

She hesitated at continuing – of not turning around and trying more to help him. But she knew in her heart that once the decision had been made there was little a stranger could do.

The eyes haunted her.

Sansa cried herself to sleep some nights – fear setting into her that she would one day carry those same eyes.

She had read about it in her medical journals.

There was no known cure.

There was no known name.

Some joked of the disease, foolishly saying that wolves literally would die of a broken heart.

Sansa had been worried while reading the book upon the disease. Her mind had immediately turned to Doctor Nox, worry gnawing inside her at the idea that one day the male could suffer from this.

When she asked him, his answer was blunt and honest.

"Yes. All wolves who lose their mates eventually succumb to this."

"Is there a cure?"

Doctor Nox's smile had been one of infinite sadness as he softly shook his head and walked away.

No cure.

The merging of two souls was already a great occurrence. Sansa knew just the encounter and realization of Night being her mate had been a wonder. But mating...

A heat crawled up her skin at the thought.

It was fusing together two souls. Merging them.

But when one soul passed...The process of leaving was not a clean one. It was ripping away another half. Tearing apart something.

The textbook had used the example of leaving a wound open – letting it sit there gaping and wide as blood leaked out. Eventually, as with all things, losing to much blood resulted in the same thing. Not even a medical profession needed to research to know such an obvious conclusion.

Sansa sat in front of the fire, thinking about the disease she had come face to face with.

Her attention was captured by the sound of a branch breaking.

Her head snapped up, eyes becoming alert and weary.

She saw a shadow coming near her. Something in the distance approaching.

Cautiously, Sansa stood.

She had no way, other than her wolf, to defend herself.

It could be a rouge. She was lucky she had not encountered any this far along in her travels. Mainly it was because she had stuck so close to pack borders, knowing they were shy in coming near such a thing.

She remained silent, not calling out to whoever it was.

Until the shadow stepped into the light of the fire.

An older male stared back at her. She had to blink twice to fully process his ragged appearance.

His matted white hair and somewhat toothless smile caught her off guard.

"Fancy meeting you here missy."

He sat down in front of the fire, putting his hands out and letting a long sigh leave him.

Sansa continued staring at him, startled by his appearance.

He patted the ground next to him, smiling up at her.