Chapter Five

Lux

 Discussion continued long into the night, and when Lux pulled back her covers, she swore she could still hear voices clamoring in her head. In fact, it was bad enough that she found herself walking over to her dresser to retrieve the box she kept there. Inside, were all the crystals she used to work her spells. She'd been confused at first when Memaw presented her with the collection. What need did she have of other stones? Wasn't that what her channeling stone was for?

It had been Declan who cleared up the confusion. Channeling stones called to a witch's affinity and helped control the flow of her power, but outside of that, stones held their own power. That was the magic the sorcerers harnessed. Used properly, they could enhance spells, especially if a witch was weaker in that particular element, and some were good for specific uses.

Lux picked up an amethyst quartz and pressed the flat side against her temples. Within minutes, the pounding in her skull subsided. At least enough for her to think sleep might not be impossible.

"Come in," she said just before someone knocked on her door.

Alina poked her head in. "That's a pretty cool trick."

Lux smiled as she climbed onto her bed. "Used to get me in all sorts of trouble. Mama hated it. I used to think it was because she didn't want me to be different. Now, I know it was because she was scared of the power it meant I had."

"Well, I for one am glad you have such power. It makes me feel-" the Guardian paused and searched for the right words, "less alone."

"How so?"

Alina dropped on the edge of the bed and pulled her knees up to her chest. Lux smoothed away the frown that started to form on her face. Never had she seen Alina so vulnerable. From the first day she saw the Guardian, she'd come across as confident and edgy. Right now, with her sable and honey hair falling into eyes that turned inward, Alina looked younger. Closer to Lux's own age.

"Most Guardians are raised in Camelot-"

"Okay, I'm going to have to stop you right there," Lux said, throwing up her hand. "Camelot still exists?"

With a chuckle, Alina continued, "It does, but not as part of this world anymore. Kind of like Avalon and Atlantis. You have to cross into another dimension. It's the only way we could stay safe from Morgan. She hates anyone who stands in her way, and the Guardians were literally created to oppose her."

"Wow," Lux breathed. She kept thinking one day nothing would surprise her, and so far she was very wrong.

"Wow is a very good word for it. It's the same one I had when I first saw it. See, I was seventeen the first time I stepped foot into Camelot. I grew up as a human girl with my twin sister. Not far from here, actually."

"So have we met before, then?"

"Only if you were born around the 1840s." She reached across the bed and pushed Lux's mouth closed. "Just one of the many benefits of being a Guardian."

"How come Travis' family members don't live that long?"

"I bet if you look back into his history, they have a tendency to live abnormally long lives, but the immortality bit doesn't manifest if the Talents don't manifest. To be honest, his is a strange case. Our human ties aren't supposed to dampen our abilities. Being human is why we were chosen, but it may be similar to my own story in the sense that you have to be exposed to the supernatural world in some way."

"But I don't understand why you feel lonely if there's an entire world out there just for people with powers like you."

"Even among the Guardians, I'm different. I've been searching for the why of it for over a hundred years, and I've got a few ideas. But even if I did know the answer, I guess it won't matter now."

Alina's comment brought Lux back to the matter at hand- and the cause of her headache. No one could agree this was the right thing to do. Her mother and father were torn. They understood the risks either way they went, but their biggest concern was her safety. No matter how old or strong she grew, they would never look at her as anything but their baby girl. Memaw was ready to perform the spell tonight while Sara Elizabeth reminded her they had to wait to hear back from Thorne's High Priestess.

"What about Declan?" Even saying his name was difficult. Like swallowing razors with strep throat.

"It would be best if he was here, but from what I gathered this evening, we can include him in the spell without his physical presence."

"And it won't hurt him?"

"It shouldn't."

"Shouldn't." Lux rubbed her hands over her thighs to wipe away the sweat which sprang to the surface. "I don't like those odds."

Alina's face remained impassive. "Where is he anyway?"

"I don't know. One day he was here, and then he wasn't. I only know he's okay."

"At least you have that."

"Alina, tell me about the people you left behind. You said you let them think you were dead. Is that recent?"

The Guardian went still. Her doe eyes wide and frightened. Then, shifting like shadows between trees, they turned sad. Her voice was very quiet when she spoke.

"No, it was a very long time ago. Just before I found out the truth. I was engaged to be married, and to this day, I've met no other man who is his equal. I didn't intend to leave him, but after everything that happened, I felt like a freak. I ran, and then I got swept up into tangles and conspiracies. It was too late. I think if I went back to him, he'd send me away."

Lux frowned. "I'm guessing he wasn't human?"

"No. Another Guardian, though I didn't know it at the time, and he didn't know the truth about me, either. Still doesn't. I'm able to hide because of my Talents. Talents no other Guardian has. They scare me sometimes."

Alina's shoulders shook and tears rolled down her face. Lux slid across the comforter and looped her arms around the girl's neck. When was the last time someone held her like this? And how strange to think they had so much in common. Both different even among the extraordinary. Both separated from their other half, not knowing if they'd ever be rejoined. It created a kinship between them, and Lux realized if they went through with the spell, it would be short lived.

"Thank you," Alina said with a sniffle. She rubbed her hand across her nose and then wiped the corner of her eye with her thumb. "That's not like me."

"Well, I'm sure you've faced a lot in your many years on this earth, but I doubt you've ever given up all of your memories. All of what made you, you. It's brave."

"Is it? I feel like I'm running."

"You're making the hard choice. You know, I was faced with something similar once. To give up myself in order to protect myself. I decided it wasn't worth it because I'd rather die as me than live as a stranger."

An arched brow greeted her words. "I'm missing the pep part of this talk."

Rolling her eyes, Lux pushed the girl gently. "I made that choice because it only affected me, but what would I have done if it meant saving the people around me? I don't know. I don't think I could be brave enough to do it."

Alina softened. "Thank you, Lux. Really. There's no one else I can trust with this, and it didn't feel right going behind your backs and taking memories. I hope that we will meet again. One day. When this is over."

"Do you think it'll ever be over?"

The Guardian clasped Lux's hands in hers. She pressed her forehead against them and replied in a firm voice. "Yes. I do believe that. We have to believe it or why are we still fighting?"