I could tell Tommo was annoyed at me.

For what, I wasn't completely sure, but I was beginning to guess it had something to do with the looks he would send between me, the empty seat across from us in the library, and Spencer's form nine tables away. Basically at max distance from our usual spot, almost encroaching freshmen territory. I would've laughed at the sight if I didn't feel a little shitty about the other day. Maybe it was a little much forcing Spencer back into the play by sending his girlfriend after him.

Sighing I pushed back my chair, wincing at the groan it gave but thankful Mrs. Jennings had ducked out to grab new toner for the copier. Grabbing my notebook I tucked it under my arm and made my way over to Spencer's table. Dropping it onto his open textbook I waited until his eyes flashed up to mine before speaking.

"Tommo isn't coping with our separation. I thought if we had shared custody over him he'd still get to see you but obviously, that isn't working," I said in lieu of a greeting.

Spencer leaned back to look past me, nodding at Tommo, then dropped his chair back to four legs. Swiftly he slid my notebook onto the floor, going back to his reading.

"Dude," I said, kicking back the spare chair beside him and straddling it. Draping my arms over its back I waited for a response before flicking his textbook closed.

"Son of– Look, Beau, I was serious the other day. Unless you want to talk about the fucking play you were such an asshole about me being in again I don't want to talk to you." he cut in, voice hard enough that I reeled back in shock.

"Jesus, Spencer, if it was sure a sore topic you should've said so."

"Oh my god, I fucking did. You're just so self-obsessed you didn't care. You got what you wanted, your hours cut down so you can go back to feeling like a good person again," he scoffed, shoving his textbook into his bag before hoisting it onto his shoulder and standing up. The entire library was silent around us, Tommo practically on the edge of his seat as his eyes flicked between us.

"Let's talk about this outside."

"There's nothing to talk about." he bristled, striding towards the exit. Collecting my book I followed after him, nearly colliding with a freshman in my haste to make it through the door.

"Look, I'm sorry that k-i-s-s-i-n-g is such a sore topic for you but isn't this an overreaction?"

"We're not talking about this here," Spencer cut in, shoving the fire exit door open. My eyes widened as he walked through them, waiting for the alarm to turn on. When it didn't I cautiously followed behind him.

"Should I be concerned the alarm didn't go off?" I asked, hooking a finger at the now shut red door.

"This is the only exit with a malfunction, don't worry," he said, climbing onto a short concrete slab that took up the majority of space.

"And you know that why?" I muttered, glancing around us at the multitude of concrete structures that made up the small space. "What even is this place?"

"It's where the art kids practice spray painting. The top of this thing is coated," Spencer explained, tapping beside him.

"So, you didn't bring me here to murder me then?" I smirked.

"No," Spencer said before his face hardened and I remembered our earlier conversation. That was the thing about Spencer I was realizing, it was so easy to fall into step with him. Even in the deli, when he wanted me to go, he still played along with my shit until he felt he needed to put his foot down. Which was what he was doing now.

"I feel like a child being scolded with you up there," I said, climbing up to meet him but keeping a fair bit of distance between us.

"You do act like a kid,"