"Jesus Christ, Tommo, would it kill you to smile," I muttered, scrolling through the photos April had taken from my birthday party last week.

"I had just burned my arm on the grill, be glad I wasn't cursing," he said, directing a glare my way as he collected his phone from me.

"Hey!" I yelled, attempting to retrieve the device only to earn a weirded out look from him. "I was using that."

"You have your own phone, which has almost buzzed itself off the table by the way," Tommo offered a pointed look at my phone which chose that exact moment to vibrate again and drop onto the grass below us. It was study period and I had convinced Tommo to spend it outside, purely due to it being something I was coming to realize I never did and completely unrelated to avoiding Spencer.

Who was currently attempting to call me.

The closer we came to opening night, the more frantic his messages and general behavior had become. We had been kicked out of the library on Tuesday when he shook his legs hard enough to rattle a screw loose on the shelf behind him, resulting in a tidal wave of encyclopedia's hitting the ground and startling everyone in a forty-foot radius.

"I'm sure it's unimportant, most likely telemarketers," I waved it off, ducking to collect my phone and ignoring Tommo's eye roll as he uncapped a highlighter with his teeth and went on studying. "But serious, smiling in one photo won't kill you."

Tommo grunted back.

"I get it, you caveman. You no like flash." I deadpanned, going so far as to slam my chest with my fists.

"You stupid. Will get us both suspended if keep making noise." Tommo parroted back, checking his phone with a grimace.

"What's up?" I asked and he huffed, flashing the screen my way quickly then tucking it into his hoodie's pocket.

"Mom's reminding me I still haven't picked up my shirt for the dance from the dry cleaners."

I stared back at him in surprise. "Oh, you're actually going to that?"

"Yeah, kind of have to. Guys on the team will roast the shit out of me if I flake. Plus I promised Clark I'd streak with him since Jameson broke his ankle last week."

"You've got a date to the dance?" I asked, ignoring his mention of Clark, who was another reason I was avoiding my phone. The guy had grown nostalgic since the party, his texts flashback's to memories both good and bad, as if trying to prove that this 'hiccup' in our friendship was not the mountain I was making it out to be.

"If this is your way of asking me to the dance, I am extremely flattered but will kindly decline the offer," Tommo responded, slamming shut his textbook. "And like always I don't think I can get anything done. You are the worst influence."

"Is it my sunny demeanor or devastatingly good looks?"

"I'll pass on answering that one," he responded drily, packing his things. "I'll see you tomorrow. Wish you luck before the performance since I probably won't see you till Monday."

I went to respond when a pair of hands landed on my shoulders. I jolted, swiveling my head back to make out grey eyes and black hair. Looked like avoiding Spencer wasn't in the cards.

"Just the boys I was looking for." He said, dropping his hands as he threw a warm grin at Tommo.

"I promised Julius we'd meet up before lunch. You two try not to get into any more trouble," Tommo warned, hoisting his bag over his shoulder as he stood up.

"Me, trouble? Never," Spencer bluffed, slipping onto the bench beside me as Tommo walked away. Tugging his bag onto his lap, he pulled out a delightful smelling sandwich and began slowly unwrapping it.