The next week passed in more of a daze than I wanted to admit.

Every conversation and brush against Clark left me like a live wire, sparking and shivering. He acted no different than usual. He waited by my locker for lunch so we could hit the cafeteria, continued to pelt the back of my head with wads of paper during our shared classes, and waved my Dad goodbye before we drove home. I didn't notice how spaced out I was until Friday afternoon, when Han slapped me upside the head while I wiped the hall's front windows.

"Jesus!" I winced, rubbing the spot he hit with vigor.

"I've been calling your name for three minutes, where's your head gone?"

"Nowhere, what'd you need?"

Han waited until I was back on my feet and facing him before hoisting a timesheet my way. At my confused expression, he explained, "For the play. Pick it up, sign in your hours, and hand this back to me at the end of every rehearsal. If I'm not here, leave it with reception."

"For real?" I said, awestruck. Han nodded, grunting when I surprised us both by hugging the man.

"Sorry, sorry!" I said, flustered. "Just, yeah. Thanks, Han."

He waved me off. "Don't thank me yet, from what I've heard you have a brutal director to work with."

That reminded me. I still had yet to get a hold of Bella.

"I'm sure I can handle it," I told him, cockier than I should've been given the look he cast my way before walking off. I watched him go with a smile that didn't wane by the time I was back at home.

It was after my shower that I got a text from Clark, asking if I could meet him and Tommo at the central corner store.

"Mom!" I yelled, hanging off the bathroom door with my towel tight around my hips.

"Yes?" her voice quipped back from down the hall.

"I'm going out but I swear I'll be back by dinner," I promised her, ignoring her response in favor of dashing to my room to get changed. Just before I could slip out the front door Mom appeared, Flemming at her side.

"You're taking your cousin with you, Beau."

I gaped back at her.

Unbelievable.

"I'll only be gone a couple of hours."

"Beau, Flemming is coming with you."

"Mom–" I started to argue but cut off at the firm look she sent my way. Behind her Flemming smirked, pulling his scarf tight around his neck before storming past me and onto the porch steps.

"Hurry up Beau, we're losing daylight!" he called, tramping down the driveway. I sent Mom one last betrayed look before following after my cousin, who at least waited at the end of the driveway for me.

"If you say anything out of line I swear to god I will beat you," I warned, though Flemming snorted and shook himself violently.

"Oooh... I'm so scared. My big, bad, law-breaking cousin is going to rough me up. Fuck off Beau, I'm not tagging along with you and your lame ass friends."

"Why'd you let Mom force you to come then!" I said, aspirated.

Flemming shrugged.

"Funny seeing you get all worked up. I'm gonna swing by the park, just text me when to meet you back at the top of the street. Until then, don't bother me." he said, shoving his headphones on and swiftly crossing the road.