"Say Goodbye"

Chapter 2: Dib

   The next morning is not much better than last night. I fell asleep with my glasses on and found them bent on the floor when I awoke. I sigh and grab my glasses from the floor and groan seeing they have become unwearable.

"Guess I have to use those damn contacts."

I practically throw myself off my bed and drag my feet into the bathroom.

"Good morning." I say to my reflection as I slowly put in the contacts. After swearing for a few minutes I manage to place the plastic lenses on my eyes. I grab my toothbrush and think about how I forgot to plan out today's club meeting, and that our vice president will kick my ass. What a wonderful thing to look forward to.

"Okay," I sigh looking at my reflection. "Contacts? Check. Hair? Check. Teeth? Check. Cool clothes?" I grin at my Jason Voorhees t-shirt, black jeans, dark green flannel that goes past my thighs, and..oh wait!

"I forgot the most important factor!" I run into my room quickly and grab a small box. I take out a rubber wristband with a pattern of an alien head and the words "believe" I place in all my piercings and lastly, put on a smile.

"A smile first thing in the morning is the formula for a great day!"

I grab my bag and rush downstairs. I don't stop into the kitchen and just walk out of the house. I can't look at my dad or hear him try to explain himself. Because he doesn't apologize since he never sees himself as wrong, and I am not in the mood for any of it.

I open my car door and sit myself in the driver's seat. I smile. Just sitting in my baby makes me feel better. I have been through a lot with this car, and it seems to be the only thing in my life that does not change.

"Okay Dib!" I declare to myself. "No more moping or emo crap. You are gonna go to school and be happy and passionate like everyone expects you to be!" I could hear Gaz's voice in the back of my head "Or just crazy."

When I arrive at Skool I park my car and bredgudigly walk inside the building. As I head over to my locker a poster catches my eye.

Skool Band Try-Outs.

Recently, the students decided they did not want just a traditional school marching band but rather a skool rock band. I have been playing the bass guitar since I was thirteen and I think I am pretty good at it. I smile. Maybe good enough to be in a band.

I write my name on the sign up sheet and walk to my locker or at least try to, but I am interrupted by a small, green, little being in a dress.

"Nice outfit." I smirk a bit sardonically.

"Oh thank you!" Zim beamed with pride. "Zim picked this out himself it really goes with my-wait! You stinky human! Are you making fun of me?!!??!"

"Maybe. Also I do not stink."

"Yes you do! So stinky! Like how Gir does after eating a whole bunch of chicken wings. BUT WORSE! Much. Much. Much worse."

I roll my eyes. "Right. Anyway Zim what do you want?"

Zim smiles in his evil little way. "Oh wouldn't you like to know. My newest plan to BEND THIS PLANET INTO SUBMISSION BY THE GREATEST invader....ZIM!!!"

"Oh yeah?" I lean down so Zim's face is right in front of mine. "You'll never get away with it."

I expect Zim to laugh in my face or scream some more, but he instead just stares at me. His eyes are wide and he seems frozen.

"Uh Zim? You okay? I mean...I don't care if you're not but like, are you?"

"I...uh..." He takes a gulp of air. "Where are your eyes?"

I jump a little in surprise. "They are right here! Unless you took them! You planning on taking my eyes??!!"

"Stop screaming weirdos!" A few kids yell at us, but as usual we don't listen or care.

"But...you usually have those round lenses...But now you...they....are missing." Zim looks genuinely confused and I can't help but laugh a little.

"No Zim...these are my eyes. See those lenses are glasses. They help me see because my eyes have trouble seeing on their own. But today I am wearing contact lenses." I whisper. "Like the ones you wear everyday."

Zim nods in understanding with an expression full of curiosity.

"So this is how my eyes look without my glasses." I chuckle. "But it's funny that you think they are a part of my face."

"Well I...I knew that! Zim knows everything!" He points at me dramatically. "HA! You fell for it! Foolish Dib! You fell for my false naivete! So that now I know YOUR GREATEST WEAKNESS."

"My glasses are my greatest weakness?"

"Yes."

I sigh and close my locker after getting everything I need. "Okay Zim. Whatever you say."

"You're not going to challenge me?" Zim crosses his arms. "Are you really the Dib?"

I stare at my closed locker for a few moments. My father's words run through my head, and I bite my lip.

"I can't do this anymore."

"Huh?"
I turn to Zim and for the first time I allow him to see weakness in my eyes. "This. This you vs me thing. I can't keep trying to protect earth from someone who will never actually concore it in the first place."

Zim huffs in offense. "I am the greatest INVADER to exist! Of course I-"

"Oh my fucking hell! Will you shut up?!"

Zim looks a bit taken aback and doesn't say anything. He is not used to me screaming back at him.

"I am leaving. You understand? After I graduate. I. AM. LEAVING. I will not be in this town anymore and I won't see you again!"

"Won't...see....Zim?"

I don't know how I feel when I hear the cracking in Zim's voice. "No. I will not see you. Ever again. So let's just make this easier and just stop this right now."

Zim switches from hurt to happy in a few moments. "Well this is great news! I can finally become ruler of this planet without you getting in the way!"

"Right..." I turn away from him. "Bye Zim."

"Ha! You run away! I know you FEAR ZIM!" He yells but I don't hear him and just keep walking. "You will see! Zim will win! I will make you wish you were never born!"

"Don't have to..." I whisper wiping a tear away from my eyes. "I already do."