Chapter 6: Respawn

"Hey man, sorry but we connected another guy to the server and since you left your name unfilled his identity got jumbled up with yours. Just hang in there in stasis I will have you respawn right where you left off. Also, I would be grateful if you let this one slip by when you get out, I'm already treading on thin ice here as it is. Cheers!"

The world shifted and I was at the cemetery again. The black void faded away as if it was never there.

Sharon said, "Hey what happened? Should I call an emergency drone?"

"I-I am fine. Just blacked out for a second there."

"Let's get you back at home."

Sharon and I got back at my place. Since it was already late at night, she decided to stay over.

Sharon said, "So are you going to offer to sleep on the couch then?"

I said, "I was kinda hoping that we would snuggle up?"

It seemed out of character for me to say something like that. But somehow it worked. Maybe someone up there was looking after me.

I put my one arm around her belly and stuffed my head inside her hair. They smelled like... shampoo?

I could hear her breathing softly. I inched closer and kissed her nape.

Sharon turned around and said, "Someone's trying to sleep over here."

I placed my hand on her cheek and kissed her goodnight.

***

When I woke up Sharon had already taken a shower and was doing her hair.

I said, "Good morning."

She smiled, "Morning."

"Would you like to move in with me?"

"Geez we just started dating last month."

"It feels longer though."

It really does feel longer to me. It's like a part of me has been in a perpetual state of déjà vu, from when I first met Sharon.

Sharon said, "Well get ready or we're going to be late."

Going to work together from home. It's like we are a proper couple. Every other thought slipped away.