Chapter 16

During History, Eliza sat with Jane and her gang again. She seemed to have forgotten about our little conversation last night, refusing to acknowledge my existence at all. I returned the favour. I didn't particularly want much to do with her, either.

Besides, I needed to work on the case. My suspect list had remained largely unchanged, and I was growing desperate for progress. No one had been doing anything suspicious, unfortunately, which killed my spirits. Wendy, too, appeared to have forgotten about the notebook-incident and hadn't glanced in Eliza's way for days. It was just more proof that she didn't have a guilty conscience. I noted that Veronica had been looking rather distant for the past few days. Everyone was still hyped about Sam's party (which, might I say, happened a long time ago) but Veronica wasn't engaging with it. Although she did catch my watching a couple of times, and had given me many deep glares. I shrugged it off - I was used to it, now that everyone seemed to have it out for me.

Although I did find her behaviour off. Usually, she took charge of the conversation, and her silence was unnerving. I decided I needed to find a place to eavesdrop.

"Dude!" someone called. "Have you seen these pictures of your party?"

"No. Show me," said Sam, moving in closer. He leaned over Veronica to look at his friend's phone. "Awesome." 

Veronica, clearly uncomfortable, was now sandwiched at the centre of the group, left with no choice but to partake in the conversation. Sam, too, had noticed her discomfort and was trying to appease her. "Hey, Ronnie. I can't see you in any of the pics."

"Oh, yeah, I just didn't feel like being in them."

Sam gave her a pointed look. Everyone knew Veronica would jump at any chance to have a photo taken.

"I mean," she hastened. "I'd messed up my makeup and I didn't want a permanent copy of that look." She feigned a chuckle to lighten the mood.

"Oh," mumbled Sam.

"Wait," started Ant. "I didn't see you at the party."

"What?!" said Veronica in mock-surprise. "I was there."

"She was – I was with her for like an hour," said Sam.

"Yeah."

"Say... where did you go after that? I kind of lost track of you."

Veronica squirmed in her seat. "Like I said – my makeup was terrible, so I went off to fix it."

"But that wouldn't take three hours. And besides – I didn't see you leave."

"I was-"

At that very moment, Georgia whispered something frantically into Wendy's ear, who snorted strawberry milk out of her nose. Blushing, she wiped her sleeve over her face to clean it, removing about five layers of makeup with it. Her sleeve, a sort of abstract painting of black and white, looked strikingly like the stuff she made in art. The others burst into laughter and Wendy's face brightened. Veronica, relieved, slipped away to help Wendy clean up. I didn't think she truly cared about helping Wendy - she just wanted to leave.

The group dispersed to the basketball courts a few minutes later, and Veronica and Wendy were left alone. I guess Wendy sensed something was wrong and inquired.

"Um, Veronica? What's up?"

"Nothing. It's just that they keep asking me about the night at the party."

I sat up. So something had happened.

"So what?" asked Wendy.

"You know what I was doing, don't you?"

I held my breath. Was I just about to hear a confession?

Wendy sighed loudly. "Yeah. And so what?"

"So... I really don't want anyone to know."

Wendy was taken aback. She huffed and crossed her arms over her torso. "Jeez, Ronnie. Do you hate me that much?"

"No! It's not about you. It's just that... they're going to think I'm lame for leaving so early. Like, seriously. I bet most of them stayed up until, like, 2 am. And then there's just me."

"And then there's you, who skipped a stupid party to come to meet up with your best friend. So lame, Ronnie. So lame."

I slumped. This wasn't about North.

"You're not my best friend," Veronica said abruptly. Wendy paled (I didn't think she could get any whiter, either).

"I mean, sorry," Veronica added quickly. "But I don't have a best friend."

Wendy stood up. "Well if you really hate me that much, I think I'm going to leave."

"No, wait!" Veronica grabbed her arm. "It isn't about you at all. It's just because all that North stuff happened that night... and she was there with us and then..." she trailed off. Wendy looked down.

"And you don't want them to think something was up between us...?"

"Yeah. And they might think... I don't know. Like, I did it."

"Jesus Christ, Veronica. They're not going to suspect you."

I tilted my head to the side. Veronica was worried about being suspected? Why would she be concerned if she wasn't guilty? I hastily scribbled down as much of the conversation as I could. It might be a lead. She was hiding something, I was sure of it.

"I know, but... It's just scary, you know?"

"Oh god. Well, remember I was with you the whole night. I can back you up."

"I guess... thanks, Wendy."

I stopped my frantic scribbling. If Wendy was with Veronica all night, there was no way she would have done it. Unless they did it together and were both acting because they'd spotted me listening. I scanned my surroundings but I was well hidden. Surely, the hadn't seen me here.

Dejected, I made my way to my locker. There wasn't any point in listening anymore.

"Told you so." I turned around to see Eliza standing behind me. "I saw you spying on Veronica, and I saw your sad face. I told you it wasn't her."

"Well if you know I found nothing, I obviously found out that Wendy didn't do it either."

"Not necessarily."

"Actually, she said-" I stopped. I wasn't going to allow Eliza to weasel the information out of me. "Go find out yourself. Maybe conduct some interrogations."

She contorted her face. "Well, good luck. You're going to need it."

I didn't respond. I didn't waste my breath.

I had been convinced I was on to something with Veronica. Finding out about her innocence wasn't doing any wonders for my mood. But unlike Eliza, at least I knew how to let go of ideas. I knew how to recognise my mistakes. 

Although I didn't cross her off the list just yet. She was still highly suspicious, but no longer my priority. Georgia was next on the list, and, for once, I thought Eliza's interrogation tactic might be usual. Remembering how easy it was for Ant and the others to pry the truth out of her in Science, I figured it would be just as easy for me to do so. And besides, she seemed pretty tame. She certainly wasn't as intimidating as Wendy.

What's more, was that I had music next, and Georgia was in my class. It'd be the perfect chance to talk to her.

Eliza could eat my dust.