Chapter 29

It took over half an hour but I'd finished detailing my encounter with the murderer to Michael, who recorded every word.

"And I'm also wearing the clothes I wore that day today. See." I began to remove my uniform shirt. "See where the rips are?"

"Yes, I see."

"It's proof that it actually happened."

"Not necessarily," he sighed.

"And when I was leaving I left my phone there and she took it and wrote something on it. It has her handwriting on it." I handed him the photo.

Michael eyed them. "And it's different to her last letter."

"Oh."

"But it might still be useful. We've tested the note from last night for fingerprints." He nodded at the photo I'd given him. "But there weren't any fingerprints other than yours and Joe's from last night, so I don't think it'd be worth checking the fabric you gave me since it'd most likely only contain yours and North's."

I nodded dejectedly.

"But thank you for your help, Elijah. Is there anything else you need to tell me?"

"Yes. The reason I think it's Phoebe's mother."

"OK. Go on."

"So Eliza, my foster sister, went to this girl named Jane's house, but we thought Jane was the murderer at the time so I thought that she was in danger. So I ended up following her and spying through a window."

The officer raised his eyebrows. 

"But you have to understand that I thought Jane was dangerous," I said quickly.

"And what made you think that?"

"I thought I saw her face in Cypress Alley when I was attacked."

"Oh? But you say it was Phoebe's mother."

"Yes, because Phoebe looks like Jane. And I've never seen her mother without makeup so I initially thought it couldn't have been her - the person I saw wasn't wearing makeup. But then I realised: this could be a tactic. She wouldn't want people to recognise her, so she wore plain clothes and wiped off all her makeup. And since Phoebe looks a lot like Jane, I guess her mother might as well.

"Ah. Good thinking."

"Thanks," I beamed. "And what's more, is that Phoebe was wearing the jacket that the murderer was wearing that day. Her last name was inside it, apparently - because Jane's mother told me. So when I confronted her, she said it was her mother's jacket, and that she'd be punished if she were caught wearing it."

"Hm."

"And get this," I said excitedly. "She said the last time her mother worse the jacket was Saturday morning. And she was worried after it."

Michael nodded, intrigued. "Very well, I think we should bring Phoebe's mother in for questioning."

I struggled to contain my excitement. "OK."

"I also think it would be worthwhile calling your sister in."

"Um."

"Will that be possible?"

"You'll have to do it yourself. Eliza and I aren't exactly on speaking terms at the moment."

"Why not?"

"Because I followed her to Jane's house. And we fought the night before she went, which is why she went in the first place, I think. To spite me."

"I can understand why she'd be upset you followed her," Michael muttered. "But I'll call her in myself."