Chapter 27

I was halfway through the book when Ms Davis entered the room. Seeing the title of the book in my hands, she raised her eyebrows.

"So you're into mysteries?" she asked.

"I guess."

"That's nice. Well, I'm sorry to tell you that you'll probably have to be on your way soon."

"Oh, OK."

"It'll be dark soon and the girls will be leaving in a few minutes."

"I think I'll leave right after them if that's alright."

"Of course. Just return the book on your way out."

"OK."

As Ms Davis left the room, a stampede was heard on the stairs. The girls were still chatting and giggling as they made their noisy presence known downstairs. I leapt off the couch and headed into the storage room to put the book away and to wait out the girls. Jane lead the group to the front door and watched them file out. 

"See you tomorrow!" she yelled after them.

"Bye Jane-Rose!" a girl shouted back.

"Bye!" Eliza giggled. For a moment, I worried that she'd freeze in that dress, but pushed the thought abruptly out of my mind. She wouldn't have even spared me a thought in these past few hours, so why should spare her one?

Jane headed back upstairs and, after a quick goodbye to Ms Davis, I slipped out the front door and into the frigid afternoon. My foot no longer pained me, but I was afraid that it might get a frost-bite before I was home. Unfortunately, there was still a long way to go, and the weather would only be worse once we were there.

Eliza and the other girls were around ten metres in front of me. The streets were crowded with parked cars and large trees, so there wasn't a huge risk of them seeing me. Besides, they appeared too caught up in their conversation. The group had already shrunk - a few of the other girls had taken a different path - so it was only Eliza, Phoebe, and a girl named Cindy walking home the same way as me. Perfect. Until we reached her house, I'd be able to observe Phoebe's behaviour and maybe give Eliza an update when we get home. Maybe.

But I had a problem. What would I even tell her when I walked into the house after her. Perhaps it would be best to linger around the neighbourhood for a half-hour before I went inside, but my toes were already beginning to lose feeling. I didn't want to freeze, but I also didn't want to risk making her suspicious that I'd followed her. What's more, is that when she asked, the others at home would tell her that I left right after her. She'd know immediately.

But I decided to deal with that issue when it came to it. For now, I needed to focus on Phoebe.

We were rapidly approaching the Alley and Phoebe didn't seem one bit perturbed. The looming trees were clearly visible, and I'd caught Phoebe looking at them every once in a while. But she maintained a mask of calmness and even joy, which I thought was odd, considering her initial reaction to the murder.

But what of that initial reaction? If she was the true culprit, it must have all been a guise. A guise because everyone knew her as a sensitive girl, and it would be odd to act differently. Moreover, it would almost certainly keep everyone off her track. She must be cleverer than I'd assumed.

A flock of birds flew by overhead in the shape of the letter 'V'. Phoebe jumped to let the others know. "Look!" she shouted, loud enough that I could hear. "Wow!" she swooned.

The trio turned to watch the birds fly away as I stood aloof in the middle of the path. I didn't let Eliza register my presence. I just turned around and ran.