Chapter 26

Ms Davis, as I learnt her name was, poured me a warm cup of tea and patched up a small wound on my leg.

"The arm should be fine. It's definitely not broken," she told me.

"Thanks," I said stiffly.

"You're most welcome," she smiled.

I started to get up. "I need to go- owwww."

"Oh dear, it needs to rest. You won't be able to walk home. Is there anyone to pick you up?"

I thought about Ms Hartley at home, then Eliza upstairs. "No, but I need to go now."

"But what about your sister? Who will pick her up?"

"She walks."

Ms Davis sighed. "I'll call her downstairs to let her know you're here. Maybe she can find someone to pick the two of you up." She made towards the stairs when I shouted.

"No!"

I flinched as a stab of pain ran down my spine, and prayed that Eliza hadn't heard. The chatter upstairs halted.

"What was that, mum?" Jane shouted back.

"Nothing, nothing sweetie."

"OK!"

Turning to me, Ms Davis crossed her arms. "Now, what was that about?"

"Please don't tell Eliza I'm here. Please don't. Please?"

"Why not?"

Footsteps on the stairs. I jumped out of my seat, despite the pain, and raced to hide behind a door.

But it was only Phoebe. Thankfully.

"Sorry, Ms Davis, but I was just coming down to bring our snacks upstairs."

Ms Davis was still in shock at my actions. She remained silent.

Phoebe raised her eyebrows. "You know, the ones I came in for a few minutes ago but you said they were-"

"Oh, of course," said Ms Davis, bringing herself out of her daze. "They're on the kitchen counter."

"Thank you!" Phoebe chirped, grabbing them from the counter and skipping back upstairs. 

As we lost sight of her, Ms Davis turned to me.

"Now what are-"

"I have to go, bye!" I shouted as I headed to the front door. But my bruised leg stopped me before I'd even reached it. Unable to bear the pain, I fell with a thud, slicing my wound back open. Groaning, I pulled my leg to my chest and cowered by the door.

"You won't be able to walk for at least a few hours," Ms Davis sighed, exasperated.

"But, you have to understand. Eliza can't know that I'm here."

"Why not?"

"Because... we're not really on good terms right now. And she might think I'm following her," I blabbered. "Then I'm afraid she might not speak to me ever again."

"You don't need to jump to such dramatic conclusions-"

"Eliza is dramatic."

"OK, OK, but-"

"No, please, you don't understand." I think what I was really afraid of was the murderer upstairs, but I didn't want to tell Ms Davis that.

"There has to be something I can do," she said.

"No- oh... um... maybe there is," I stuttered.

She nodded and asked me what it was.

"Um... I think Eliza has my jumper with her, but I'm not sure," I lied. "I lost it a couple of days ago, but this morning, I saw her wearing something that looked vaguely like it."