10: The Chessler Stands Alone

RI-I-I-I-I-ING!

Was that the bell? I sat up and rubbed my eyes. Had I dozed off in class? No. Wait... no! It wasn't a dream. This was really happening - to me! I slumped back over and cried. It just isn't fair!

Soon enough, students were walking through the halls, staring at me... or at least at the vanity dresser that was randomly next to my locker for no apparent reason. Couldn't they all see a teen in crisis, here? Someone needed to help me, bring me some food - or at least not point and stare! This must be what it's like to be a good leather jacket in a store window... or worse: a freak!

Eventually, as I knew it would, I heard an all-too-familiar voice say, "Libby, what's wrong?"

I didn't have the energy for anything anymore. "My parents have kicked me out."

"Oh, I had no idea... and I had absolutely nothing to do with it," she added for some reason. Sometimes I really didn't get her.

I sat up and held my handkerchief to my eye; it was then that I noticed Harvey was with her, but for some reason he was hiding a basketball under his shirt... not that I cared right then. "My mom said they don't love me anymore... my dad said they never did. What am I gonna do?"

"I'm so sorry," Sabrina said quietly, stretching her hand out again... but I couldn't take it. I got up and ran - I ran for the bathroom, or China, or something. I just didn't want to exist anymore.

Alas, even though I was sure if I used the old bathroom (and believe me, there's a reason it's called that) down in the basement that no one would bother me, I was sorely mistaken.

"Libby," Sabrina began, "do you-"

"No," I sobbed, sliding down the wall onto the grimy floor - see what they all reduced me to? "J-just go away. I... I wanna be alone."

"It sounds to me like you're a little too alone right now."

"Yes, I am. Thanks for rubbing it in."

She blanched. "I didn't mean-"

"Just go, please? I c-can't handle grief from you right now."

"I'm not trying to give you grief," she said stubbornly. "I'm trying to get rid of it! C'mon, I- I wanna help, or at least listen or something."

"Oh, what can you do? Can you make my mom..." I couldn't even finish the sentence without bursting into tears again. "Oh, God! My parents hate me!"

And before I could stop her, or even find the will to try, she was holding me again. Wow, I couldn't even go a whole week without crying all over her shoulder like a big damn baby.

"How can they do this to me?" I sobbed. "I'm only s-seventeen! These are supposed to be the best years of my life, and I have to worry about getting a job and an apartment all of a sudden? It... it's not fair!"

"Shh." Her hand on my head made me feel like I could say anything and it wouldn't come back to bite me on the ass later.

"And Mom! I m-mean, I know we were never like friends, but I thought she- she- and now she just decides I'm not worth the time anymore! How am I going to survive?!"

"I know, I know..." Under her breath, she said, "Damn you, Calzone..."

"W-what?"

"Uh, nothing," she said, coughing a little. "Just, I ate this calzone for breakfast and it's repeating on me. Anyway, your mom's way out of line; she can't throw her own daughter out on her ear like this! Besides, you're worth more than that."

"Y-yeah?" I sobbed, glancing up at her.

"Oh, totally," she said, smiling sadly. "Come on, Libby, not even a cheerleader deserves to be alone."