12: Internal Polifreaks

[DISCLAIMER: This and the chapters following contain plot elements (no actual dialogue) from the Sabrina novel "Prom Time" by Bobbi JG Weiss and David Cody Weiss. I was going to bring my story through Prom anyway, and unfortunately book #21 is the only reference material available, since they never had a Prom in the show (BLASPHEMY!) ]

● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●

"Psst!"

What was that, a gas leak? I was supposed to be getting to class, but I stopped to look around to see where it was coming from, anyway. Then I heard it again: "Psst!"

"Who's there?"

I saw a hand waving me over to the bathroom; I followed it inside to find... oh, who else?

"What do you want, freak?"

She rolled her eyes. "We're alone, Libby."

"Should I care?" I said coldly as I stared her down; she glared right back. Then, when we were both about to crack up, I threw my arms around her, laughing, "'cause I do!"

"Me too, Libby," she giggled, pulling back. "I just had a question is all."

"Fire away, freak," I said, checking my makeup in the mirror. 

● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●

Before I get to her question, I want to explain the lack of total weirdness of this Monday morning; you know, the fact that I'm still insulting her, but other than that we've dropped all pretense? See, it was no longer the least bit uncomfortable because this isn't the first time we've had a private conversation since I got kicked out of my house; no, now it was almost two weeks later, and in between we'd, y'know, hung around sometimes. We might have professionally (meaning 'in school') continued the same relationship we'd always had, but... well, a few days after the last time I soaked her shoulder I ran into her at the mall, and we were both headed for the food court, and- I dunno, we just ended up spending all day together, it was a blast and a half, and the rest was history.

By the way, it turns out she's not toothless; it was a really well-executed prank. I don't think I'll ever get just why she thought playing a prank on herself would be funny, but I did personally pull on her teeth just to be sure they were real.

...Then I washed my hands a dozen times, of course.

The worst part was, I actually kept thinking about how much I'd missed out on. I mean, the nerd could be really annoying and self-righteous sometimes, but she had that certain "substance"... something that Jill and Cee Cee were experiencing a perpetual shortage of. If only I'd known what I know now, the time we were stuck on the same team with Birkhead and Kinkle for that Brainbusters competition would've been a lot more fun; I keep thinking about that because studying for it was one of the few bizzare times we actually spent any real time together outside of school before all this started... even though her living room was flooded. And filled with poppies. And her aunts were dancing in the closet. And she tried to tickle me.

Now, now, don't get mad at me for leaving all that out, but I did it to move the story along; trust me, other than some conversations about guys and good clean fun (think skee ball and movies and junk like that), nothing of significance happened in there, so you're not missing much. Really, if I had put all of it in, we'd only have dozens of pages of fluff, and you'd get bored, anyway. So, back to the issue at hand!