11.2- A Flurry of Fire and Fans

My legs were jelly as I stood up. Hoots and cheers rang across the air and everyone swept their eyes across the arena to find me. My cheeks grew hot and sweat ran down my fingers. I stumbled across the aisle. Wishes of good luck broke through the noise as I passed by.

Perhaps it was the tension growing in my belly or the assault of my hearing, but the atmosphere was stifling. Every step I took down the stairs was one that threatened to push me back. By the time I reached the field, I could barely stand. Though I knew there were only a hundred or so spectators, a million eyes seemed to watch my every move.

The Minister gave me a nod from the other side of the terrain. He turned back to the raffle machine. The crowd fell silent, a hundred breaths held at once. Minister Banji tugged the lever. The papers inside the contraption began to spin, with clickety-clicks and vibrations I could only hear now that I was closer.

Get it together. I took a deep breath, willing myself to not drop down in a faint. You can do this. I had to clear my head. I had to figure out the best way to get to the next round, besides simply winning that is. Think, think! Alright, Swordsman Natsumi mentioned they'll score us on readiness to engage, ingenuity and tenacity. I didn't know how literal she was, but it was something. So as long as I attacked first, did some quick thinking and pushed on despite any injuries, I should be fine.

My hands clenched into a fist. I could do this.

The raffle machine stopped spinning and let out a piece of paper.

'Akira Sagakuru,' The Minister cried out. The crowd burst into cheers, whistles and hoots joining the fray.

I forced myself to stare at the ground. The moment I looked up, at all the people who'd stare down at me, I might puke. No, I'd rather see my opponent when she reached the field.

A clack-clack of boots came down the stairs I'd taken. I shifted around, leaving enough space between me and the other fighter. She waved at the crowd, a smirk decorating her pointed features. Bright red hair framed her face like flames. A splattering of freckles covered her pale complexion, all the way from her nose to her shoulders, even her forearms. Everything she wore, including her leather armour and boots, were black.

Akira winked at me, and I nodded in response. While she looked tough, that might just boost my tenacity scores.

Minister Banji walked back to his seat. 'Remember, you must not aim to kill or maim. While injuries are expected, anything permanent will result in a loss of at least twenty points.' He fixed his eyes on the two of us in tandem. 'Killing of course, will disqualify you, and subject you to a hearing and possible arrest. Any destruction of property will cut down your points by ten per damaged item.' He pointed at a few swordsmen in the crowds. 'While we've enlisted protection for the bystanders, any attacks that go over the field will result in disqualification.' He nodded at the two of us. 'Any move that would result in a win in a real battle is a win here.'

We nodded at the rules and faced each other, waiting for the signal to start. I drew out my staves, their sleek wood glinting in the sunlight. Akira took out what looked like several blades in both hands before flipping them open. War fans! Kei'd shown me a few in his mum's shop.

My heart beat against my chest. Calm down! This was no time for nerves.

Minister Banji clapped his hands. 'You may begin!'

With a spark of inner spirit, I leapt. Akira crouched low as I brought down a staff, using one of her fans to deflect the blow. Flipping beside her. I aimed the other staff at her torso. But before it could go far, her fan swatted it away. I stayed rooted to my spot, forcing her to react to my strikes. She was fast. But not as fast as Kei.