18.2- A Town of Death and a City of Gold

June 29. Fourteen going on fifteen years old. Japan.

Dr Chiasa lay sprawled on the gilded marble floor, a pool of blood soaking into her clothes. On the dark grey fabric, the splotches looked black. A gash ran down her chest, from the collarbone to her waist across the torso, revealing gleaming white ribs and red viscera. Blood trickled down from her nose and mouth, staining her face as her expression was frozen in shock. Her chest stopped heaving.

My heart drummed into my chest as I stared at the image, unable to pry my eyes away. Last chapter, she had sneaked into the seer's home, hoping to speak with him alone or even to threaten him to find Kaede's location. Before she had got the chance, this chapter had begun with a fight between her and one of his guards. And now...

She was dead.

My hands shook and I clutched the phone tight with sweaty fingers, afraid it would fall onto the bathroom floor. The air felt thick, as though it was choking me. Why is she dead? I swiped to the next page, hoping I was wrong.

But the rest of the chapter only confirmed it. The kids had broken down upon learning of her death, and the seer had pitied them, finally convinced they weren't headhunters or stalkers. On the last page, he began meditating to find Kaede.

The chapter was done, but I didn't want to leave the stall. My breathing came in quick bursts. Why did she have to die? I clutched the phone tighter as it almost slipped away.

Did she have to die, for us to find Kaede?

I shook my head. No, no, no! There was still a way to get through this without anyone getting killed. When the seer finds Kaede's location next chapter, I'd just have to inform the group without arousing suspicion. I ran a hand through my hair, the strands sticking to my clammy palms. Then Dr Chiasa wouldn't break into the seer's house.

Yes, I just had to wait till next week.

July 5. Fourteen going on fifteen years old. Saishuu Riku.

The golden fittings on Genkoushi's homes glistened with the sun. Its buildings were taller than those in Heikisato, though nowhere near the skyscrapers in Japan. With each floor, they narrowed and rose up to a point, like pillared mountains. The dusty streets teemed with people and carriages. Everywhere was the noise of clanging metal, of hammers and of whirring machinery. While cartloads of precious metals passed us by, the people riding them looked worn and sweaty. I wonder who's getting rich from that.

Something sounded familiar, and it took me a moment to put my finger on it. The way the people spoke was just like our QM. She must've been from Genkoushi.

'What's the seer's name and address?' Dr Chiasa eyed the street, stepping aside to let a blacksmith walk past.

Ahio rubbed the back of his head with a sheepish expression. 'Um, I don't actually know. But I'm sure everyone here's heard of him. Let's ask them!'