19.2- How to Break a Seer

The rest of the meal passed by in a haze as the others kept talking. My heart drummed against my chest, and I forced myself to breathe normally. This can't be happening!

We followed Yukiten through the streets of Genkoushi, over its hills and to the edge of town, where mountains towered over the buildings. Here and there were tunnels where the mineworkers were busy labouring with their tools. The clink clank of metal on rock echoed across the land.

The whole way, I followed the others feeling like an outsider watching my body from afar. Just going through the motions. It was all I could do to not scream at everyone to stop following the girl. But they would think I was insane. Perhaps it would be different from the manga, just like when we were caught in the pit. Perhaps the seer in real life would tell us what we needed. I repeated the words to myself every few seconds.

She approached an intimidating pyramid-like building. Several guards surrounded its gold wrought gates, their backs straight and expressions stern as they held the swords still in their sheaths. A sigil of a coin was stitched onto the shoulder of their robes.

A few metres before the building, Yukiten turned to us with a sheepish smile. 'I have to leave ya here. I'm not really supposed to be out without my bodyguard, see? Please don't tell my uncle I showed ya his place. He hates visitors.' She pointed at the guards. 'Tell them ya'll are here on business. N' don't say a word about finding your friend until ya meet my uncle. Good luck!' She scampered off to the back of the building.

Dr Chiasa approached the guards. 'We're here to meet Mr Mahato. For business.' She looked them in the eye without so much as a blink. I must've missed the seer's name back at lunch.

They nodded and opened the gates to let us into the courtyard. One of the guards, a tall man with a goatee, followed us in. Several trees laden with yellow fruit stood by the walls of the courtyard, and a large oaken door, also flanked by guards, led to the inside of the building.

Our steps echoed and we were under close watch as we walked through to the vast entrance hall. Plump sofas lined its walls, and the floor was gilded marble. My stomach churned as Dr Chiasa's blood on the marble flashed in front of my eyes. Stop! She's still alive.

'Wait here, I will fetch Mr Mahato,' said the guard, his voice a deep rumble. He strode off through a doorway on the right.

A few seconds after we sat down, the side door opened again. In walked a bald man with a round belly, his dark skin contrasting against the long white robes he wore. My heart skipped a beat. The seer! The guard stood by his side, narrow eyes fixed on us.

'Odd to see children comin' along for a business proposal, but it's nice to meet ya, Miss...?' Mr Mahato dipped his head, then settled down on a sofa.

'Dr Chiasa.' She bowed back. 'And...I'm not here looking for an investor.'

His expression grew dark. 'What is it then?'

She took a deep breath. 'My daughter was kidnapped, and I need your help to find her.'

My heart raced. Please don't refuse. Please don't refuse!

For a moment, he stared at her, then burst out laughing. 'Daughter? I hadn't heard that one for... five years, I think. N' the other kids, are they supposed to be her siblings? Ya should've chosen a few who looked alike—'

Whatever hope I had diminished when his words came out identical to the manga's.

'We're her teammates!' shouted Ahio.

'Ah, swordsmen, are ya? A squad of what, six people includin' the girl?' His chuckles died down, and he leaned forward, steepling his fingers. 'Alright, the charades up. Who are ya really? Are ya head hunters? Does the girl have a bounty on her or somethin'?'

'No, she's my daughter! She was abducted a few weeks ago by a serial kidnapper. The Minister—' she cut herself off, then began again. 'None of the other kids had been found yet, and I don't want her to be lost forever.'

'Ya should have your story straight first, before comin' here. Clever trick with gettin' a meeting with me though.' He sighed and rose from his seat. 'I'm bored of your antics now. Get out.' Gesturing at the guard, he walked towards the side door.

'No, wait!' Ahio shouted, striding forward. 'We just want our friend back.'

'I'm no swordsman to solve cases. Go to them.' Mr Mahato shut the door behind him.

The guard grabbed Ahio before he could reach the door. Swearing, the boy unsheathed his sword, though the blades were still drawn in. Without sparing a second, the man took out his sabre.

'Stop.' Dr Chiasa clutched Ahio's shoulder. 'We'll leave.' She pushed him in front of her and strode towards the courtyard. Ahio glared daggers at everyone he passed. We followed them out, the guard a few steps behind.

Once outside the gates, Ahio shrugged off Dr Chiasa's hand. 'Why did you stop me? I could've gotten him to talk!'

'Don't be stupid, you would've been killed,' she snapped. 'We're outmatched in there, and I don't want any of you getting hurt.'

'Well, what're we supposed to do now?' Ahio clenched his fists, giving the guards a death stare.

Dr Chiasa glanced at the building, her brows lowered in a calculating look. 'We'll have to try again.'

While the others discussed negotiation tactics in the hotel room, I shut myself in the adjacent bathroom

While the others discussed negotiation tactics in the hotel room, I shut myself in the adjacent bathroom. They probably thought I had a stomach problem by now, but I needed some space to think. If the manga was any indication, Dr Chiasa would sneak into Mr Mahato's house come sunset. Outside the tiny bathroom window, a tinge of orange already coloured the sky.

I clutched my head as tinnitus sounded across the air. What am I going to do? Was her death really the only route to get to Kaede? There must be some other way, any other way. But my mind drew a blank, just as it had over the several minutes I was in here.

A vision of blood on the gilded marble floor, of Dr Chiasa's chest with white ribs visible, flashed in front of me.

My hands trembled and I shook my head. She's still alive! But for how much longer? A feeling of dread suffocated me, like a plastic bag cutting off my oxygen.

How am I to act as though I didn't know she was getting killed as everyone else slept? My skin prickled and it got harder to breathe. How would I face Kaede, knowing I could've stopped her mother's death? How could I look at myself, and accept the fact I had a woman's blood on my hands?

She was someone I knew, someone I'd talked to, fought for, someone I'd come to care for. And even if I didn't, who was I to play God with her life? But not making a decision was the same as making one.

If only time would freeze and sunset never came.

But the warm light from the outside deepened every second, bathing me in its mocking glow. My legs shook as I staggered to the door and my heart rammed against my chest like a hammer. I clutched the doorknob with clammy fingers.

Shouldn't I at least try?