Chapter One

The music pounded in both of their ears, amplified by the singing of the crowd

The music pounded in both of their ears, amplified by the singing of the crowd. Sweaty bodies pressed them together, so close they could smell the sharp bite of alcohol on each other's breath. Charlotte Ramsey and Teddy Lupin's eyes focused on one another as they hopped and bopped to the frantic beat of the music. His hair was a rich pink with emotion and her skin was flushed with blood, tinting her cheeks bright pink like Teddy's hair.

"WHAT DO YOU THINK?" Charlotte shouted over the roar of the song. When Teddy had surprised her with The Weird Sister's tickets for her birthday, Charlotte had been ecstatic. They were her favorite band, and while Teddy wasn't the biggest fan of them, he was willing to go with her. As her not date. Because they weren't dating. Just best friends. But he was willing to go with her. Charlotte's smile turned giddy as she gazed at the boy in front of her. "ARE YOU HAVING FUN?"

"It's fun! But I'm glad that I'm with you!" Teddy shouted back. His hair was a shade of vibrant pink, almost the same color of the rosiness on his cheeks. His hand reached out and caught a strand of loose hair that had escaped from Charlotte's ponytail. Biting his lip, he tucked it behind her ear. He could smell her. She smelled like sweat and alcohol and chocolate. How the hell did she smell like chocolate? It was intoxicating. "You know, Lotte, you really are beautiful."

The flush on Charlotte's face deepened. "You know, Teddy, I think I might like you." Charlotte winked at him before turning back to the stage, leaving Teddy flushed and out of breath. She spun around in a circle, hair flying completely out of the ponytail she had gathered it in meticulously. Her yellow top complemented her quite nicely, leaving Teddy in awe of her. In awe of her beauty, in awe of her mind, in awe of just her.

"I'm just a boy, oh oh. I'm just a boy in love. Just a boy in love." Myron Wagtail crooned into his microphone as boys and girls alike in the crowd swooned. A collective sigh swept over the crowd as everyone turned to face the lead singer as his voice layered a smooth background to the young pair of friend's thoughts about each other.

Teddy could only stare at the girl that he loved, the one that held his heart in her hands. Her hair was down and loose, her eyes bright and shining like liquid pools of light, and her face was so full of happiness. That was his favorite thing in the world. Her smile. Her bright beautiful smile. When it shone, he forgot how to breathe.

As the song came to an end, Charlotte spun into Teddy and leaned her head on his chest. Her hair tickled at the bare skin above the neck of his t-shirt. She yawned, smiling up at Teddy as she did so. "Ready, Teddy?" Charlotte giggled to herself. "That rhymed. Ready, Teddy? I'm ready Teddy!"

Teddy grinned down at her. "I'm ready too. We should go find the Portkey to take us home." The two had arranged a Portkey to get to the Ramsey household and another one to the Lupin house from there so the teens wouldn't be flying home. Especially not after having a little something to drink.

The pair walked hand in hand to the Portkey, beaming at each other. Surrounded by other couples, Charlotte and Teddy almost felt like one. Pressed shoulder to shoulder, Teddy could feel the heat from produced by Charlotte's body. His heart thumped in time with the last lingering beats of music from the concert. When at last, they reached the torn book that served as a Portkey, Teddy regained his composure as they separated. He didn't know how much longer he would have lasted before he broke and kissed her. Kissed her and ruined their six-year friendship. A six-year friendship that resulted in him falling in love with her.