Chapter Eight

Charlotte sat at the Gryffindor table, her eyes fixed on Teddy

Charlotte sat at the Gryffindor table, her eyes fixed on Teddy. The First Years had yet to come in, and everyone was waiting patiently for them to arrive. No, patiently wasn't the right word. The younger students were fidgeting in their seats, mouths running away to their neighbors. The buzz of conversation filled the room, providing a gentle background noise for Charlotte's ears.

Her hazel eyes focused in on the Lupin boy, watching him smile at a young Second Year girl. Chloe Thomas-Finnigan blushed, giggling along to her gaggle of friends. Charlotte had to laugh at her reaction. Teddy was quite the heartbreaker among the Second Year girls. The previous year, Chloe's best friend, Sheri, had tried to spike his drink with a love potion. The love part of the potion had worked, but instead of seeing Sheri, the first person that Teddy had seen was himself in the mirror.

That had resulted in Charlotte having to deal with a narcissistic Teddy until the potion wore off. There had been lots of staring into a mirror and Teddy laughing whenever he changed one of his facial features. And lots and lots of eye-rolling on Charlotte's end. When Sheri had gone up to Teddy with a hopeful smile on her face and nothing had occurred, she had been heartbroken. After that, Teddy watched what he drank for a solid two months. Charlotte hadn't been able to hold back her laughter at him. Teddy had given her playful glares, and Charlotte has just laughed and laughed.

The sound of First-Year feet on the polished floor snapped Charlotte out of her thoughts. She looked up to see the eleven-year-olds coming in through the gilded double doors, multiple different expressions on their faces. There were those like James, who had been surrounded by magic all their lives, who looked excited but not surprised by the marvelous appearance of the Great Hall. It was easy to pick out the Muggleborns in the crowd, their faces glowing with wonder at the sight of something that they had once believed impossible.

Polly was among those amazed by the magic, but she also had a nervous look on her face. She wasn't the only one. Even among the First Years that Charlotte recognized, of which there were many, most of them were biting their lips or worrying with their hands as nervous habits.

Charlotte remembered her First Year sorting like it was yesterday. Memory filled her eyes as she thought about the fateful day that she had met Teddy on the train, neither of them knowing the friendship that it would spark. And what a friendship it was. Countless nights full of laughter littered her memory, each one making her smile. Getting in trouble together and finding ways to get out of it, they were practically attached at the hip. She didn't want to ruin that precious feeling of friendship with romantic feelings, for him to not feel the same thing for her.

If he didn't feel the same way, then their friendship would be in shambles. Charlotte predicted the awkward smiles in shared classes, the elephant in the room constantly looming over them. She didn't want that to happen, for that to sever their bond. So she stuffed her feelings down, layering them deep under a mantra of "best friends, best friends, best friends."