Chapter Six

A first-year was looking at Teddy and Charlotte sheepishly as she picked up the stack of her books that she had dropped

A first-year was looking at Teddy and Charlotte sheepishly as she picked up the stack of her books that she had dropped. "I'm so sorry!" The girl practically sobbed, tears filling her eyes.

Charlotte moved her face away from Teddy's and walked over to the young girl quickly. "Honey, there's nothing to apologize for. What's your name?" Charlotte knelt beside the girl.

"Polly." Her voice trembled as she answered Charlotte's question. "I'm sorry."

"There is nothing that you have to be sorry for." This time it was Teddy who spoke. He was copying Charlotte's action, kneeling on the other side of Polly.

"What's got you so scared, sweetie?" Charlotte asked Polly softly. The gentle rocking motion of the train moved the trio back and forth.

Polly's bottom lip trembled. "I don't know where to go on the train because I'm the first witch in the family so my parents have no idea about anything related to magic. And then I interrupted your moment. I never do anything right!" Polly started crying, tears streaming down her face as she sniffled.

"Polly, it's okay. We will show you where to go on the train, and we weren't having a moment, so you didn't interrupt anything." Charlotte brought the younger girl into her arms for a hug, rubbing circles on her back. She made a motion with her eyes at Teddy to grab a tissue from her bag, and he instantly understood. They knew each other like the back of their hands, inside and out.

Teddy stood up and went to go rifle through Charlotte's bag. The Bag was famous around Hogwarts for having just what you needed at just the right time. Charlotte had put an Undetectable Extension Charm on the brown bag and stored all sorts of things in it. Muggle first aid supplies, magical supplies, and tissues were a few of the items that were housed in the bag.

Teddy walked back with a disposable tissue and handed it to Charlotte. She gently wiped away Polly's tears, smiling at her. "There's nothing to be afraid of. Teddy here is Head Boy, and I'm Head Girl." Charlotte told Polly.

"Polly, do you want to sit with us for the rest of the train ride? You can stay in here during the Prefect meeting." Teddy offered. He knew that the presence of two people that Polly already knew would help calm the young girl down and make her not as scared.

Polly nodded. She picked up her books from the ground where she had dropped them and sat them in her lap. "Thank you." She whispered, her voice thick from crying.

"Here, come sit over here." Charlotte helped Polly up from the swaying train floor and brushed the dust off the younger girl's Muggle clothing. "After the meeting, I'll take you to change into your robes. How does that sound?"

Polly nodded again. She sunk into the cushion and opened one of her many books, which turned out to be a sketchbook. Polly started to draw, tuning out the outside world.

Charlotte watched Teddy interact with Polly and was melting inside. He asked her all sorts of questions about her art, knowing just the right thing to say. He was always so good with kids. Charlotte watched the pair until Teddy looked up and flashed a smile at her. Color rushed to Charlotte's cheeks, and she looked down at the stack of papers that she was writing on. "Teddy, we should probably start planning the Prefect rotations now."