Chapter 2

I pour the last of the coffee into my cup and switched off the machine. I turned to face Eva as she swiveled in her chair.

"So have you decided what to do with the house yet?"

I let out a long breath, "Not even close. I guess for now I'm going to live here, maybe find a job. Maybe sign up for classes at the university close by. With their insurance policies I wouldn't necessarily have to work but I just can't see myself here all the time, especially with nothing to do." I sat the cup down and looked around. "Regardless of what I do with it, it needs some remodeling so maybe that's what I'll make myself busy with until the next semester of school rolls around."

She hummed in agreement, "I'll come home as often as I can but we practice every day it feels like. I gave my dad your number just in case. I hate the thought of you here alone, and he can help with any man power you need while remodeling."

I scoffed at her as I drained my cup. "Excuse me I have more than enough man power to do it on my own, thank you very much." And the less I'm around him to make a fool out of myself, the better.

She giggled as she slid her empty cup to me to place in the sink. She sighed as there was a knock at the door. "I wish I didn't have to go already but that's my dad." She stood up and reached for me. Wrapping her arms around and squeezing tight. "If you need anything, you call me okay? If I can't help I'll find something or someone that will, I promise." She let go and studied me.

"I'm a big boy Eva, I promise I'll be okay." I walked to the door and swung it open as Luke stood there in a tan sweater and jeans, looking every bit the daddy I fantasized him being. I could feel my blush making itself known as I cleared my throat. "Alright you two, have a safe trip. Eva I love you and please come visit soon!" I commanded as I pulled her in for one last hug.

"Alright alright, Eva honey we have to get going if you want to make it back for practice in time." He spoke from the door.

"Okay dad I'm coming," she turned to me. "Promise you'll call him if you need help, okay? I don't want you getting hurt because you think you can do everything yourself."

I rolled my eyes, "I'll think about it. Now go, don't be late." I shooed her out the door glancing one last time at Luke as I shut it behind them. I pressed my back against the door and blew a breath. Honestly this crush I have on him is getting ridiculous.

Really though, what would that beast of a man want with my virgin ass? Absolutely nothing, and it was about time I started to believe that.

Walking up the stairs I pushed the door open to their bedroom, not surprised by the immaculate way it had been left. Mother was always very particular on how she left things. The thought of keeping their furniture briefly crossed my mind until I quickly dismissed it, deciding that if I had enough money I might as well really revamp the whole house.

I walked into the room, trying to categorize what needed to be gone, when a picture on the dresser caught my eye. I grabbed it and sat on the bed. I was about eleven in the picture, and holding the brand new puppy I had just gotten for Christmas.

My throat tightened as a I stared at the picture, not knowing how to feel. Why did they still have it on their dresser? I had always assumed that, as the disgrace of the family, all reminders of me would have been thrown away. And yet here was one looking at mother every morning as she got dressed.

I brought my hand to my face and was surprised to find tears rolling down my cheeks. An unexpected fit of anger washed over me as I stood up and flung the picture across the room, watching as it smashed against the wall. I stomped out of the room, slamming the door behind me. That room can wait until later.

I found my headphones as I decided to go for a run, needing desperately to be out of this house. Stepping out, I quickly realized the October air was much colder than I expected, but shrugged and decided the run would keep me warm.

Trying to keep a steady pace I rounded the corner toward the park, failing at keeping my mind away from my parents. Stopping to take a deep breath, I realize once again that tears were streaming down my face.

I slumped down onto the bench behind me and covered my face with my hands, trying to breathe deeply.

I was suddenly angry with myself. How many times have I said that I was never going to cry over them again? And yet here I am breaking down in the middle of the park like a loon. Pathetic.

I got up and began running, swerving in and out around people. Tears still streaming down my face, my vision was blurry as I felt my foot catch the leg of a bench and I went flying. My hand and knees taking the brunt of the fall, I immediately felt the sting as I took a minute to get my bearings.

"Just fucking great," I cursed as I sat back and looked at my hands. I had blood running down both arms. "Damn." Sitting myself on the bench I just fell over, I noticed my knees were in worst shape than my hands. I just sat there and cried for a minute, no longer able to even cover my eyes.

"Manny?"

I heard the voice beside me and my heart immediately stopped. Oh god, not right now. I felt so defeated, I couldn't even react. I just slumped further into the seat.

"Jesus Manny, what happened?! You're covered in blood!" I felt him sit beside me and stiffened as he touched my thigh.

I sighed. "Hi Mr. Richards, I'm just out here enjoying the brisk air. I may or may not have accidentally fallen." The embarrassment I felt rose as my cheeks turned red and my tears kept falling.

I felt a soft hold on my chin as my head was tilted upwards. Knowing I had no other choice I looked into his eyes. He frowned as he looked at me.

"Manny let me take you home, you've got some pretty good scrapes there and I can bandage them up for you."

Being alone with him was the last thing I needed right now. "Actually I think I'll just be on my way. These are nothing, superficial at best, Mr. Richards. I'll be okay." I said as I got up from the bench.

He narrowed his eyes. "Manny." The command in his tone immediately made my stomach tighten and I knew right then that I had to do everything in my power to stay away from this man. I took a step back. "Manny. I will not let you walk away from me looking like that, you need help," he reached for me and on instinct I flinched away, bringing my hands up. Realizing what I had done I quickly dropped my hand.

He stood there, his hands now at his sides looking shocked. "Manny did you think I was going to hurt you? I would never do that!"

"I know, I know, I'm sorry. But I really have to go now, thank you for the concern but I'm fine." I rushed out as I turned on my heel and ran towards the south entrance of the park, desperate to be home now.

I ran until I reached my front door, grimacing as I looked at my red stained hands. I opened the door and headed to the bathroom to clean myself off. I knew Luke would show up eventually, especially  after my scene today. I know Eva left him with some kind of instruction to look after me and I know I wasn't giving off good vibes today.

I finished cleaning up my hands and wrapped bandages around them. Happy with how they looked I decided to get busy. Time to get things about here packed.