Chapter 7

"Yes, Eva. I promise I'm okay."

"Hmmm, you do sound better than the last time I talked to you. Did my dad stop by? I told him I was worried but I didn't know if he took me seriously."

I flipped the piece of bologna over in the skillet. "Yes, he did. Thank you, Eva. But I don't need a babysitter. I took care of myself when I lived in the city. I think I can manage it around this town."

I hear her starting the car in the background. "I know, Manny. I know. But you forget that I was around back then when things got real bad. I know how low you can get and you can't blame me for being worried. I love you Manny..."

I put the plate down on the counter and grabbed a bottle of water out of the fridge. "I love you too, crazy girl. But you're going to give yourself an ulcer worrying about me, honestly." I took a bite out of my sandwich.

"What did you say you were doing today?"

"The people from the shop should be here in about half an hour. So they'll be in and out all day. After that..." I thought about the plans me and Luke had made for this afternoon, for him to teach me how to drive. "I'll probably just stay in and look up some renovation plans."

"Ugh, boring." She pauses. "Are you eating?"

I laugh, "Yes."

"Well then I'm gonna let you go. You know you chew way too loud for me. I'll talk to you soon, okay? I love you."

"Be safe and have fun at practice. I love you." I hang up and stare at the number hanging on the fridge.

I know I told Luke I would call but making myself dial that number has proved to be much harder than I thought.

My mind went back to Luke again and I smiled, excited for my lessons this afternoon. Luke had been working extra this week so we hadn't had a chance to talk much since Monday. I had realized earlier this week when he called to set up our lessons tonight that I really didn't know much about him. He'd always just been there, in the background as Eva's dad when we were younger. Now... I shook my head. I almost wish he could go back into the background.

I don't know why I lied to Eva, because I knew she would be more than okay with him helping me But I had said it and there was no taking it back.

I got up and rinsed my plate off in the sink. I grabbed the paper and took a deep breath, dialing the number.

I held my breath on the first two rings, almost hoping he wouldn't answer.

"Hello?"

I let out the breath, dammit. I cleared my throat. "Um, hi, Dr. Matthews. It's, uh, it's me, Manny Sartori."

There's a brief pause. "Manny! How are you doing? It's been quite some time since I've heard from you! I was hoping you would keep in touch when you moved but I never heard anything!"

"Uh, yeah. Sorry about that. You know it was always my plan to leave this place."

He hummed. "So to what do I owe this phone call?"

"Well, I'm not sure if you heard about the accident..."

"Ah, with your parents? Yes, I did. Would you like me to offer my condolences?"

I smiled, realizing already how nice it was to tell someone who knew what they had really been like. "If it would make you feel better, sure. But it's not necessary."

"Alright then. I won't. Are you having problems dealing with their death? Do you need to schedule a session?"

"Yes to the session. But it's indirectly related to them. I'm just having some issues being back home and it was suggested by...a friend..that I start my therapy back up."