Chapter 4

I unlocked the front door and let myself and Luke in. He walks through the rooms and lets out a whistle. "Damn. You've been busy this week, haven't you?"

I laughed. "Yeah, I've got a lot to do."

He nodded his head. "I can see that. Where do you want me to start?"

"There's a few boxes in the spare room upstairs that are being donated to the shelter in town." I pointed up the stairs.

"I'll go grab em then."

As he headed up the stairs I started on the boxes in the living room. After taking two loads outside and putting them in the backseat I realized he still hadn't come back down yet. "Mr. Richards? Did you find them?" After no answer I headed upstairs.

Confused, I walked up to the spare room and seen that the door was still closed. Where did he go? I turned around and gasped as I noticed the door to my parents room was wide open and he was standing in the middle of the room.

I slowly walked up to the door, swallowing my nerves. "This is the wrong room."

He turns to me and my eyes snap to the broken frame in his hands. I gulp.

"What happened in here?"

"Nothing. I just, uh, came in here the other day and knocked the picture over."

He tilted his head. "Why is it still on the ground then?"

I cleared my throat, "I figured I would get to it when I packed this room up."

He looked around, nodding. "Yeah now that you mention it, this is the only room with no boxes."

"I was getting around to it."

"When did you knock it over?"

Knowing where he was going with this, I shrugged. "Just the other day, I'm not sure."

"Mmhmm. Was this other day right before I found you in the park?"

Fuck. Fuck. "Uh, I have to pee, excuse me," I rushed out as quick as I could and made a beeline for the hallway bathroom. I slammed the door shut and slid down to the floor, head in my hands.

Why did I react like that? Now he's really going to want an answer and I don't think I'm ready to give him one. Fuck.

There was a light knock on the door. "Manny?" I didn't answer. "Let me in." I started rocking. Oh god, am I really about to have a panic attack because he asked me about a fucking picture? "Manny?" He asked again. I ignored him and focused on the technique Dr. Matthews taught me. Breathe in deep through the nose and out through the mouth. In. Out. In. Out.

"Manny!" Came through much louder this time. "I'm getting worried, will you please say something?"

I took a deep breath. "Just, just give me a second," I could hear how shaky my voice was. Dammit.

There was a long silence as I waited to see what he would do. "Alright, I'm going to go take those boxes down from the spare room. I'll be back in a few," he murmured.

I let out a deep breath as I heard him walk away. I'm thankful he understood that I was not ready to be so emotional in front of him. I wouldn't have an explanation to my reaction even if he wanted one. I have no idea why I responded that way. Maybe I'm more closed off to other people than I've ever even realized.

I sat on the floor, listening to his footsteps and the opening and closing of the front door as he takes the boxes out.

After several minutes I hear his steps slowly approach the door. "Manny? How about you come out now, and we go through that room together?"