Part 2 | Drunken Words

Dedicated to HM_EvelynJones_28

Chapter 2 🌖 Leon

  I always hated Court. It was always filled with lying rich snobs who would do anything to get what they want. I was just about to get some fresh air, maybe even take a stroll through the woods of Cleon, when Lord Fredrick and his Daughter lady Grace of house Jacos blocked my way. Their Red and Silver lion proudly gleaming on lord Fredrick's uniform. I took a deep breath and plastered a fake smile on my face. "Prince Leon! What a pleasure meeting you here." A wave of annoyance washed through me. The house of Jacos never stopped pestering my dad, the King Ronan and I. "What can I do for you, Lord Fredrick?" I said with as much as calm and formality I could muster.

So close to freedom, yet so far! He smiled, but his smile never reached his eyes. "I'd like to introduce you to my Daughter, Grace." I inwardly groaned, for the past two weeks different courtesans has been introducing me to their daughters in hope of a wedding alliance with the kingdom. Each of them had come up with different things, each a speciality of their province or kingdom.

   Nevertheless, I pretended to take special interest in this young woman. She was slim, with muscled arms and dark brown eyes matching her chestnut curls. She had a certain look of boredom on her face. I have a look of approval as I took in her courage to display such a dangerous emotion her face openly. I shook her hand and said, "Nice to meet you Grace. I wish you good luck in the War Of Queens" She gave a curt nod and displayed a warm smile across her face. This girl was very unlike the rest of ladies in the court and definitely her father. My look of approval seemed to satisfy the lord's needs and with that I excused myself, and quickly slipped outside.

   I took a deep breath of the fresh air. Finally! I barely ever got time to take a breather between attending to my princely duties and training to be the soldier and general that everyone expected. I walked to the horse stables and saddled my beautiful mare, Pharaoh.

She was one of my closest friends and also my ticket out of this trap. She was of a rich Brown colour which made her look royal with Gold eyes. Her mane sweeping across her strong and agile body. She bickered in what I considered pleasure, her gold eyes lighting up in amusement as she saw me.

I fastened the saddle across her middle, and mounted her. She gave a small grunt of annoyance, she always hated saddles, but I needed something to keep me upright. I sighed, letting out a deep exhale, I seemed to be doing that a lot these days.

I was just about to take off into the woods when a familiar voice behind me piped up, "Off to somewhere again Prince Leon?" It was the voice of a person who had covered up for me whenever I wanted to just disappear from the castle. It was the voice of my best friend and Steward Samorin York.

I smiled, "I just wanted to take a small ride through the woods, that's all. Will you ...?" He nodded,

"As usual." My smile turned into a wide grin.

"You're the best Sam."

    My dad had originally bought Sam as a slave and Steward for me. Sam was from a tiny town and was never able to experience the pleasures that most of the noble blooded enjoyed. He was the illegitimate Son of a noble, and once the man found out, being the double faced devil that he is, he threw Sam onto the streets, forcing him to survive in the harsh conditions of this world.

    Sam hates that about his family, his mother had died of famine, and his older brother taken away by the plague. With no one left to care for him, he learned to care for himself from an early age. He had been put into several Exodi (homes for Exidi), but being the smart genius that he is, he escaped all those torture houses, hating the streets. He was always one to hate the streets after that experience, I don't blame him, But I always loved the common life. People who lived it never had all these extra pressures. I was always fond of learning about them and Sam was my resource, to learn about the difficulties of the lives of commoners, since my childhood.