Asylum Eleven, Part 3

In which Valt grows even closer to the patients of the Beigoma Mental Institute, and they all begin to band together and bond with each other.
Then the arrival of a new patient forces Wakiya and Shu to confront their traumas before they're both consumed by their pain. (Inspired by Fran Bow. The names of Japanese characters are in reverse order.)

-----

"Valt?... Valt... Valt!"

"Yes, sir?" I yip, snapping my head up to look at Officer Kiyama. He stares back at me with clear worry in his eyes, saying softly.

"I was telling you that we haven't found any trace of the killer yet. I'm sorry."

"... I-It's okay... I know you're trying your hardest." I murmur, offering a shaky smile before I look away. "Um... Have you found the twins a nice family yet?..."

"Not yet. We're trying to find a family that will take in all three of you." He answers. "But in the meantime, they're being taken care of by a foster family that is incredibly kind."

"That's good." I smile a little, sucking in a deep breath as I feel my eyes beginning to sting. I was doing good at holding it in for a moment there...

"Oh, Valt..." Miss Midori exhales softly, stepping over to my side and handing me a tissue. I only bury my face into it, trying hard not to burst tears for what would be the... I dunno, probably the twentieth time in these past few days. "It's okay, you know. You can be upset, still..."

"I-I don't want t-to keep c-crying..." I choke out.

"... Maybe this will cheer you up?" Officer Kiyama asks, and I hesitantly pull the tissue away from my face and spot a blue top in his hand.

"I... Is that Valtryek?" I gasp softly, unable to stop myself from smiling as he hands it to me. "Partner!... I missed you so much!..."

"So it is yours..." He murmurs, offering a small smile. "I'm sorry it took so long, but the detectives wanted to make sure it didn't have any DNA on it from the killer."

"Thank you, Mister Kiyama..." I smile a little more.

"No problem. My son was a Blader, too, I know how important Beys are to you kids." His smile fades a bit and we both look away uncomfortably.

"... I battled him before." I say quietly, looking back to him as he looks to me. "Raging Roktavor was really tough. If it wasn't for Honcho, I'd never have gotten serious about Beyblade."

"I... I'm glad to hear that, Valt. I think I remember him telling me about you."

"I wish I knew him better." I mumble, then we both fall silent. Neither of us can get ourselves to say anything, then Miss Midori suddenly speaks.

"Why don't you go get breakfast, Valt? You must be hungry."

"Oh, yes, ma'am." I nod a little, pushing myself off the bed as Officer Kiyama stands. "Thank you again, sir."

"No problem." He replies, smiling at me and patting my head gently. I step out of the room and stand past the doorway, listening to them for a moment.

"He keeps having nightmares?..." Officer Kiyama whispers.

"Yes..." Miss Midori answers. "And he doesn't remember them at all, but they scare him so much..."

I sigh softly, continuing down the hall to the cafeteria. When I get there, I find that Lui is my only friend here yet, already finished with his food and talking to Mister Tarver quietly. I don't know what about, but knowing Lui, it's probably not like what he told me that day.